1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Saw an Ampeg B-18 flip top in use last night

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Busker, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Guy was using it on a somewhat loud country gig. Similar to the B-15, but with the 18 inch speaker. It was D.I.'d through the PA, but sounding good. He said it was a '66. I was pretty amazed to see one of these out in a bar, rather than safe at home. He played a Lakland Joe Osborn fiver through it. Nice.

2. gcordez

gcordez

Jul 14, 2008
    Bristol,UK
    hey,

ive been using my '61 B-15N with my pbass on gigs for a while now. it sounds so good that i cant keep it cooped up at home. a lot of people say that you cant use them in live situations but i find that in a small bar its fine and on bigger stages i get the soundman to mic the amp and send some back through my foldback monitors.

hopefully theres others still using this old kit.

3. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I try to use mine out when ever I can.

4. Me too.

Amps are to be played.

5. I've got one of these, and the tone is great, unless you are looking for a progressive rock sound! However carrying a 90lb beast up stairs is NOT my idea of fun.
    I would dearly love to have a B-15N, or even better, if some adventurous manufacturer should decide to build a 21st century version of the fliptop, staying true to Jess olivers vision.....15" speaker, perhaps a whizzer cone, all tube amp, but use neo magnets, light construction techniques, and built in handle and tilt-back castors ala PJB. maybe end up with a 65 pound package with 100wrms of tube power and a very good 15" speaker in an optimized cabinet...
    I'd go for that I think. I'd sure be willing to trade my B-18 in towards such a thing.
    NO TWEETERS ALLOWED!!!

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've used my 64 B-15N onstage off and on for about 8 years now. 25 watts of glory, my friends!

7. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    Your vid gave me great faith in using my B 15 live! Its cool to see all the small amps on stage! Good stuff!!

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's not always the amount of power you have on tap, so much as it is what you do with it. And, if it sounds good, that's all that matters. I'd love even a reissue B15R, but you don't see them that often.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My 64 B-15N weighs 65 lbs. stock. Minus the dolly, of course.

I think some of your ideas have merit, but I would pass on the wizzy. The 60's B-15's have enough high end without it, and the 70's B-15's aren't made for upper mids and highs.