1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

saw an interesting bass/pedal combination last night. great tone! (univox content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ishouldbeking, Nov 20, 2010.

1. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    played a fun little show last night with our friends who play in a band called Shadow Shadow Shade. never had a chance to see their gear up close before, but we shared a bit of kit last night and we were literally surrounded by piles of their gear on stage. made for an awkward stage, but a fun glimpse into the workings of another band's stage setup.

the bassist has a quirky setup, but it sounded fantastic for the stuff they do. he played a sunburst Univox hi-flyer through a malekko b:assmaster that was always on (I believe), into an SVT 200T thru a 410HLF. The rig itself was nothing special, even he doesn't care for it much, just something he's borrowing from a friend in the band Sea Wolf. but the combination of that shortscale Univox with the b:assmaster gave such a perfectly fuzzy but usable tone... it was really something special.

I'm definitely going to look into those pedals a bit more (tried one a while back, and admittedly loved it, but the price is pretty steep), but I'm curious about those Univox basses. I've played the eastwood copy a handful of times and thought it was fine (technically I could snag one up with my band's eastwood endorsement), but it didn't particularly speak to me as anything special. I did hear the bass player, Tom, play his univox for a minute clean last night during sound check, and it just had a really nice character to it that I couldn't quite put my finger on. what kind of pickups do those univoxes use? single coil? HB's? several friends have had em over the years, now i kinda want one too, haha. very cool bass put to great use last night by a great band.

2. "Shadow Shadow Shade"?? Hahaha they should do a show with Veil Veil Vanish

3. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    haha, i know those guys too! well, a little bit. friend of mine has directed some of their vids, and they always play shows with some other friends when they're here in LA. but you're right, they clearly "borrowed" the naming convention. SSS used to be called "Afternoons" but were advised to change it due to the existence of a (semi?)successful European band called The Afternoons. ain't no fun trying to pick an "original" band name these days.

4. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    A Hi-flier? Cool!

I'd personally give the Eastwood another try thru a big nice amp, but thats just me. The Eastwoods are much better instruments. Not to mention, the real Univox hi fliers are climbing up there in price these days.