Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saw Arrested Development last Thursday...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Eyescream, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Excellent, really fun show. I'm glad they're still kicking around.

I forget the bassist's name, but he totally changed my mind about Warwick sound. I really, really enjoyed his playing, and I got close enough that I could watch what he was doing a little bit. Made it look like he was putting zero effort into what he was playing.

Funny: I've always heard people joke on here about how bass solos go completely ignored for the most part, and I was reminded of that last Thursday. He played a nice solo, and I turn around to look and I ended up being pretty sure I was the only person paying attention.

For what it's worth, if you're reading this, you sounded really good.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    dude's name is Za but when he was in my wife's homeroom in High School his name was Ike Williams.

I wish he was still local!!!! I'd hound him endlessly for lessons!

When I was building the summer NAMM video pages last year the Mrs's glanced at the screen and said "What are you putting Ike on the Benavente site for?!?" :confused: I was floored!

I'd buy a solo disc from him in a heart beat!

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    BTW He's buddies with Woodchuck

4. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Well, that's excellent. I never know what to say to people that have a large degree of notoriety like that, so usually I just don't say anything or don't bother trying to get in a position where I might have to. :)

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!

I called him last night, and I told him about this thread. He's actually working on his solo disc now. Divinity, Victor Wooten, myself (maybe), and others are going to be on it. BTW, I hound him for tips constantly! Even when I'm on the road, I call. Once during a Warrior clinic, Chuck Rainey said that he'd seen alot of good bassists, but only one was making MUSIC, then he pointed to Za. :cool:

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Cool, I'm glad you told him. Cause the more I think about it, the more I want to explore very smooth sounding lines like that. Cause those guys were solid, dude.

I really need to stop sucking.