Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saw Bela Fleck and the Flecktones Tonight!!...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassDmb18, Feb 11, 2003.

1. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    2nd Row! Holy ****! Better than any of the 6 DMB shows I've been to! They jam out, and rock! And the greatest group of guys! Their next Album is gonna be awsome, they played new stuff from it and it is AMAZING! Love Vic Wooten as always, Bela Fleck is up there with Timmy Reynolds, his solo was amazing! And wait till you see the new guitar he's playing, a work of art in itself! Just the greatest night I've taken away from a concert! GO SEE THEM! GO SEE THEM! I got all 4 of their autographs after, they stayed to sign, great group of guys! On one song there is like this beat where it kinda goes and stops.. I think it was during Stomping Ground, near the end they had an out that goes and stops.. and during those pauses all 4 of them stand in a little circle and do like the robot, it was the coolest thing i've ever seen! GO SEE THEM

~AJ

2. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    OOH! And also, during a song Bela and Vic were soling back and forth, like follow the leader type thing.. and all of a sudden Bela punches Vics bass, and then vic punches the banjo. then bela went to poke Vic's eyes, and Vic did the 3 Stooges Block.. then while Vic was playing he reached over to Bela's banjo, and put it out of tune, kept playing, and while he was playing Bela started playing and Vic reached and put it back in tune while still playing his bass with one hand.. and everyone went bananas.. it was insane!

The Sax player played TWO Saxes at ONCE! The Crowd was just goin absolutly nuts all night, such a Creative, Innovative, and High energy show! And Futch is the man!
    ~AJ

3. Glad you had a good time. I first saw them when they came to Cape Cod over the summer and they were incredibly fun to watch/listen to. I can't wait till they come to North Hampton in April, deffinetly worth seeing again.:bassist:

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i've seen them 4 times...the fourth was 9/12/01. as you can imagine, there was a lot of emotion in the room. during belas solo spot he started playing 'the star spangled banner' and the rest of the band came back in just for that, and i cried. i don't think there was anyone who didn't.

get the 'live at the quick' DVD. it's badass.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    good for you, must've been fun :)

this belongs over in miscellaneous. i'll move it presently.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yes. Yes it is. I almost cried when I remembered I loaned it out last week and couldn't watch it. I had a hankaaron to watch it, you know? But I couldn't. Bummer.

7. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Hank Aaron! Did you get his autograph? :p

8. hey! i was at that same show; melody tent, right? i loved that performance, totally blew me away.

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Just a few more weeks for me...It's an annual even here for me. I lock down my calendar as soon as tickets go on sale.

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I remember when I saw bela Fleck not to long ago...that was great. they did a smiliar bit with the punching(no 3 stooges though) during vic's solo set did he down tune his bass sooo far that it was just floppy strings? he did this at the show I went to then tuned it back up at the end, and when they were about to jump into the next song bela stopped and said(earnestly too, not a bit) "oh...sorry vic you need a tuner don't you" and vic just shook his head.

Jeff coffin with the two saxes is nutty! I would have never expected that!

thanks for the post, its bringing back very fond memories.

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    he did that down tune thing last time i saw them too. he started tuning them back slowly one at a time and i was like 'no ****ing way, no way, no...' and then he paused for a second, and went back into the melody of the tune he was playing and it was perfectly in tune, and everyone freaked out.