Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saw Ben Folds @ the Fillmore last night

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Justin V, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    That show was great. It was my first time in the Fillmore too, so double cool :cool: :cool: .

Anyone else there last night or Friday night?

2. bassandlax

bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    i havent had the privelage to see ben folds live yet.
    they are a great great group and ben folds is ridiculously talented. Ben folds five imho was better but ben folds is just as good in a different way. But i love his music. How was the show

joe

3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    It was really good. He played about five songs off of 'Rockin the Suburbs' and about four or five songs off of 'Whatever and Ever Amen' along with some other songs that I hadn't heard before.

During "Not the Same", he had the crowd do the backing vocals, but at one point in the song, he got up and kind of 'conducted' the crowd to do the part about ten times. Once he let us all rest our vocal chords (he was going back to the piano), somebody up front yelled "power trip" up at him. Ben just gave this sarcastic denial or something.

Also, during "Fred Jones Part 2", the guy from Cake (can't remember his name for the life of me) came out and assisted in the vocals to a warm reception.

He closed the show with a different version of "Song for the Dumped". Before he started playing, though, he gave everyone a "nightly lesson in music theory". He did a quick demonstration of major and minor chords. He then said something about rewriting his entire catalog so that sad songs were in minor keys and happy songs were in major keys. After that, he played "Song for the Dumped" in a minor key. It sounded pretty strange, but definately recognizable.

All in all a good way to spend a Monday night.:D

4. Chip

Chip

May 2, 2000
    i saw ben folds on tv once (live concert)
    i thought it was a horrible preformance

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    What didn't you like?

Maybe you should see him live...

6. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    A lot of what made that show so enjoyable was the energy of the crowd in the Fillmore. He played the songs well too, so I don't know what you wouldn't have liked on TV.

7. bassandlax

bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    how can u not like him?
    he's representing the triangle too!!!

joe