1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Saw Bobby Vega last night - Wow!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Road Hat, Mar 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Road Hat

Road Hat

Oct 9, 2008
    He was playing with K I M O C K, a new band with Steve Kimock on guitar, John Kimock on drums, and a female vocalist/keyboard player. They were playing the Center for the Arts in Grass Valley, CA. Small venue with great sound and lights, very intimate.

Bobby was playing his usual Glockenklang rig, which sounded perfect. Really, just an amazing tone! He was playing his '61 Jazz most of the night, but he had a high-end acoustic bass that also sounded phenomenal.

I've seen Bobby a bunch, but I never realized how much he manipulates the stack knobs on the Jazz. Constantly changing tones to fit different parts of the songs and playing techniques. Fascinating.

The best part of watching him is his amazing command on the instrument and multiple playing techniques. He will play flawless finger-style, pull the pick from his mouth and pump out some of the funkiest lines you can imagine, and then start with tasty and contextual slapping/popping, and then back to fingers again. Smooth, smooth, smooth.

It was a great show, and I talked with him a little after. Nice guy, didn't seem to have any ego thing going on. I asked him if he was still using Fender mediums, and he said that he had many 'tools'. He pulls about a dozen different picks out of his pocket, all different shapes, sizes, and gauges. He pulls one out of the pile and said, here's my favorite, would I like it?

Oh hell yeah!

Bobby Vega signature Dunlop, .73, played with the fat side of the pick (point facing up, not back). As a pick player, I'm looking forward to giving it a go!

IMG_0422.

76jazzbass, GregC, RedMoses and 13 others like this.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's a great story! It's always great to know a master bassist is not carrying himself in a arrogant manner, especially a bassist I personally admire.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    GregC, Jools4001, Tbone76 and 3 others like this.
  3. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Bobby makes me excited to play the bass. I'm extremely jealous.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Amen brother. I know the old adage of "do not meet your heroes" but it is always great when that is proven wrong.

I always refer to an old BP article where Steve Swallow quipped about you can only be as good of a bassist as you are of a person. Oddly enough, this interview was split with him and Flea, Flea agreed.

Great story OP.

5. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Outstanding story and experience !!

6. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    :thumbsup:

7. Icculus

Icculus

Jul 29, 2010
    Brotherly Love
    Awesome! How was the overall band and show? I may check this one out soon just to see Vega.

8. Road Hat

Road Hat

Oct 9, 2008
    The show was very good. I've been a fan of Kimock/Vega since Zero, including KVHW, SKB, SK&F, etc. Kimock has had some real monsters on bass, including Alphonso Johnson. They tried out some new music at this show, which I always enjoy. Kimock's tones, were, as always, superlative. His son, John Morgan Kimock, is turning into quite a good drummer. He's in his early twenties now, and started playing big stages when he was 16. Bobby was Bobby - one of my favorites! I thought the weak link in the chain was the female vocalist. She has a nice voice, and plays keyboards extremely well. I just thought that her voice was a little rough/bluesy for the music. She was a great musician, though, and I definitely give her mad props that Kimock would choose her. He doesn't play with any slouches! She even got up and played one song on Kimcock's "Cripes Firecracker" guitar. Very cool.

I'd highly recommend seeing them if they're in town! Great band, great crowd, great vibes. What's not to like? :)

9. billgoodwin

billgoodwin

Mar 28, 2011
    Roanoke,VA
    nice - Mr. Vega is a gem for sure.

10. 76jazzbass

76jazzbass Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    NJ
    I saw the Philly show and it was a pretty amazing show. Bobby is indeed a killer player and one of the nicest guys, totally seems to enjoy taking the time to chat with people. He has a total command of various styles.. finger style, pick, slap and the utmost taste while doing it.
    Steve is amazing too and they complement each other quite well. John was killing it too. I thought Leslie had a great voice and fit in quite well. I wish I could catch another show on this run.

11. Very cool! Would love to see him play live.