1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Saw Buckethead live last night! (virtouso)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sunset Shalom, Oct 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    It was eargasmic... He is wrapping up a short tour with ex Primus drummer "Brain" and a great bassist named Brewer.

They played a pretty short but amazing set at a small local venue. It was packed to the brim and they blew the lid off!

At the end the whole room was chanting Buckethead and stomping their feet, they all did an amazing job drool

Here is him playing one of his most famous songs live:

Here is a video of him tearing up a bass wearing a "funk finger":

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Creepy.
    What's with the bucket on his head and white face?

-Mike

3. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    That's his thing. He wears a KFC bucket and a mask to hide his face, he is a pretty strange/ quirky guy but he seems pretty friendly. During the concert he gave out a bunch of toys from a big bag :smug: He also put on someones glow in the dark bucket for a little while.

From what I have read he just suddenly decided that felt right when he was younger. He identified with the "buckethead" persona he conceived. Honestly I have a lot of respect for him because of that, he could easily be super famous otherwise.

He was Guns n Roses lead guitarist for a few years and has played with Les Claypool, Bootsy Collins, and Bernie Worrell as well as a ton of other great musicians. So the mask has helped him remain anonymous over the years.

Though he has released a few childhood photos as album covers and I believe his name is Brian. He actually was asked to play with Ozzy Osbourne but wouldn't unmask his face so it didn't work out :roflmao:

He still is pretty famous but he has never really became a "celebrity", and being a fairly strange/ unique person I imagine that was part of the point. He seems like a quiet/ shy type.

Flippy likes this.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Those years were more Axl Rose accompanied by people who could stand him and wanted to get paid, than G'n'R.

-Mike

5. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I was only ever really into them as a kid anyways, but what you're describing sounds more like their most recent years. Buckethead was only with them in the early 2000's I believe for recording Chinese Democracy. I don't think he even toured with them.

But the point was he has played with a lot of really famous musicians and managed to retain his anonymity, which I have a lot of respect for. As apposed to fame whores that do anything they can to get more attention.

6. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I first became aware of Buckethead when he was with the Deli Creeps. Was he still wearing the Col Sanders bucket or just a plain white bucket? I heard a rumor that KFC took legal action to force him to stop wearing the bucket with their logo.

buckethead-0311.jpg

Sunset Shalom likes this.
  7. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I don't think it was a plain bucket but it may not have been a KFC one now that you mention it, I got pretty stoned in preparation so my memory is already very hazy :D

Someone brought a KFC bucket though with a glowing part added at the top and Buckethead stuck it over his bucket for the end of the show!

Here is a short video I took of one of the first songs they played, the video is blurry as the venue was very dark but the audio came out really good I think:

I am uploading a longer video of the rest of the concert right now, should be up in an hour or two! I got him giving out toys on video as well as the glowing bucket and some other great moments.

8. Love buckethead! Funny. I was just in a mood and watched hours of his stuff. For those who aren't big fans, these two albums are the most conventional:

Buckethead and Friends - Enter The Chicken
    Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains - The Great Eyeball In The Sky

My personal favorite song is Jump Man. He's apparently a big basketball fan. No idea if he played but he is at least 6ft5. Just watch his hands when he plays. They're absolutely massive. Makes playing some stuff easier, but makes his slapping I would think harder. He's my vote for all time most technical guitarist. Great solo composer too.

Glad you enjoyed the concert! Lucky. He ain't playing out my way.

9. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    He was wearing a jersey for the whole concert! And he has some albums dedicated to various basketball stars.

I just finished uploading the rest of the concert, will have to watch through it to see if the quality is as good as the first video I took though. Going to try and figure out the set list too which is daunting with all his material!

Also I read he is working on a live album which should come out either this year or next! Can't wait as I am sure it will be amazing.

TOOL460002 likes this.
  10. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Here is the full concert:

It's missing the opening/ first song which I didn't record and the 2nd tune Gory Head Stump which I uploaded separately.

Also the video uploaded sideways for some reason but I already fixed it the video just needs time to process the editing which may take awhile as it's a long video with hi res audio.

maxmaroon likes this.
  11. With a guy who has put out dozens of albums a year, well, I'm guessing you won't have to wait long! Never got into the Pikes. Any idea if there are some hidden gems in those?

12. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I think his record is like 50+ pikes in a year, and his pikes are basically mini 30~ minute albums so that's still very impressive. He was releasing 1 every week for awhile :jawdrop: I think he even put out 2 in 1 week awhile back.

The pikes are great, some are really weird but many are amazing. The deal is they cover such a wide range of genres they tend to appeal to different people. I made some mixes on youtube to help people get into the pikes:

Those are 3 of them, the 2017 one is all from pikes he released this year, and the other 2 are pretty self explanatory. I used some non pike songs in some of the mixes but tried to focus on the pikes.

Also I picked up one of my favorites of his on CD at the concert, Look Up There:

1. Golden Eyes 0:00
    2. Look Up There 10:49

It's just 2 long epic songs, it's one of the first pikes too. But I love a lot of the recent ones too and many in between :woot: I used a lot of my favorites in the mixes I made.

TOOL460002 likes this.
  13. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    is he related to Michael Jackson? :wacky:

14. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    No but he lists Michael as one of his many influences.

pacojas likes this.
  15. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Buckethead's dad was one of my football coaches.

16. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Did you ever meet Brian/ Buckethead? Here is a relaxing/ beautiful album he dedicated to his dad:

nixdad likes this.
  17. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I went to a Buckethead show with a buddy of mine. I thought it was the single most tedious event I have ever had to endure. It felt like it was nine hours and there wasn't a bass involved, which = me no like. Also, the crowd seemed like 1,000 people who have never been to a show that wasn't a Buckethead concert. My friend loved it though and now he goes regularly.

nixdad likes this.
  18. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I saw Buckethead years ago at the Anasleim House of Blues. It was the most bizarre show I've ever seen but the music was amazing.

nixdad likes this.
  19. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    There was a great bassist at this show, and Buckethead was incredible. His finger skills are mind melting. Him and the bassist played some super funky stuff at a few parts drool The crowd was chanting his name super loud at the end.

The drummer was Brain as well who is ex Primus, and he was amazing too.

That's what I love about him, some of his music is some of the most bizarre experimental stuff you can find. I feel like some of it isn't even intended for humans to listen to in a way, but then he has tons of super relaxing and funky stuff.

Some of his albums are literally 30 minutes of non stop brain melting shredding, others are just ambient noise. But he plays almost everything and does it really well for the most part, he has a ton of influences and it really shows in his music.

nixdad likes this.
  20. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have not met Bucketed (as far as I know.) However, we both grew up in the same city, although he's younger than I. He performed just down the street at a local music store a number of years ago to celebrate the store's anniversary (this happened to be my son's first public performance as well - my son performed with a different group.)

As stated, his Dad Tom was a wonderful man and football coach. I'll have to listen to the album he dedicated to his Dad, so thanks for posting. Here's a photo of his Dad from back in the day:
    th-9_zpsir34z5ha.jpg

sneha1965, Sunset Shalom and JimK like this.