Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saw Edgar Meyer last night

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by DigMe, Nov 7, 2004.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Last night my wife and I had the pleasure of going to see Edgar Meyer perform as the featured soloist for the Waco Symphony Orchestra.

It was blissful. I've heard Meyer plenty on recordings but to see him live was incredible. They played a 3 movement piece by Bottesini and then they played Meyer's own Concerto in D. His composition was awesome. He started it off with this really agressive, bluesy groove and then the orchestra came in behind him. He worked in classical, blues and bluegrass sounds into that concerto. What a piece. He was all over the place...he plays the double bass like a violin basically (not physically!) and it's a sight to behold.

This morning I talked to one of the symphony violinists who also plays at the church and he was blown away as well. He also said that Meyer was by far the most personable and friendly soloist that he's ever spoken with. He said that Meyer was happy to talk to anyone that approached him. What a guy!

The Waco Symphony gets some pretty impressive soloists through here. The last one was Itzhack Perlman <sp> but I missed that one.

brad cook

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I just posted it here because I don't go to the DB section since I don't play DB. You're probably right though...it might get more interest there. Go ahead and move it if you want.

brad cook

3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Yeah, I was there too and was equally impressed with his playing. Edgar Meyer truly is all that.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Were you the guy sitting in section II that drove 5 hours?

brad cook

5. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    No, I drove 3 hours and was in section 9 peering through my binoculars...LOL.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh ok. I was up on the 4th row in section II and there was some guy not far behind me that was telling people that he's a bassist and he drove 5 hours to be there.

brad cook

7. tellier

tellier

Dec 29, 2002
    Edmonton, AB
    I also saw Edgar Meyer this year but here in Edmonton, Alberta playing with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra. His playing blew my mind. I had a front row seat right in front of him and just soaked it up. He is a master.

I am a roots acoustic DB player but the concert inspired me to sign up for some technique lessons from one of the ESO bassists Janice Quinn. I have only had a couple of lessons but have learnt a lot of good things - I highly recommend her as a teacher.

Also after the concert I bought "Bach: Unaccompanied Cello Suites, Nos. 1, 2, and 5". I love putting it on and cranking it - so beautiful and awe-inspiring.

8. I envy you! Edgar Meyer has incredible chops - I have a recording of him playing some of the Bach Cello Suites - also there is a CD ("Music For Two") of him on tour with Béla Fleck - the set contains a bonus DVD "Obstinato: Making Music for Two", which is a video of parts of the tour, and contains footage of some of the rehearsals. The hand-held camera tended to make me feel a bit queasy after a while, but the content, the playing, and the interaction of Béla Fleck and Edgar Meyer makes the DVD a most worthwhile take.

- Wil