1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Saw Iron Maiden for the first time

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Yvon, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    July eleventh I saw Iron Maiden for the first time ever.
    I wish I saw them before, but I never been a real maiden fan.

The band was great, seem to enjoy their night. Bruce was running everywhere etc...

But what about Janick Gers??
    He's always goofing around, not playing most on the time, and when he does he sound terrible.
    What is Harris is waiting for fireing (how do you spell that??) him?
    The show would have been perfect without him!

Just a bad night or he is always like this?

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I can't say that he sounded bad, but the part about goofing and not playing is totally true. I had similar thoughts when I saw them: "This guy isn't really necessary there". He gets more action on the most recent Maiden material, but for the classic stuff he's mostly a poser. That was my perception that night.

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I am a long time Maiden fan. When Adrian Smith left the band Gers was hired on. When Smith came back Gers stayed. Perhaps they let him stick around out of loyalty or perhaps there were legal implications but like it or not he is here to stay. I have to admit I get a kick out of his spinal tap routines.

4. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    The skintight jeans and high-top white trainers make him look like some competition winning fan that gets to join the band onstage. He gets to do what every other IM fan has to do in front of their bedroom mirror.

5. Vinnyboonbots

Vinnyboonbots Banned

May 25, 2012
    Agreed-- it's like someone's father won a contest to jam at "bandcamp." Okay, maybe someone's grandfather.

It's true that they kept him out of loyalty but he does nothing for the band except muddy up the sound. He doesn't play as well as Adrian or Dave. He doesn't sing. His theatrics are lame. And ever since they've used him, Harris's bass has taken a back seat.

One of the great things about Maiden is how they voiced the 2 guitars and the bass. BRILLIANT. Now...it's gone in a mush of power chords.

I love Maiden -- one of my all time favorite bands -- but their last great album was 7th Son.

6. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I suppose they want to be able to keep rhythm guitar going under the harmony leads, hence 3 guitars, but I share the opinion that Gers is dead weight for the most part.

7. Electrophonic

Electrophonic

Aug 11, 2010
    I couldn't disagree more about Gers. Do you honestly think he's a member of the band for 22 years if he's just goofing around and muddy up the sound?
    A lovely person, brilliant player, songwriter and have a closer look at his solos in the recent albums. A very good guitarist indeed. A spontaneous player live, and I sure love and appreciate that more than just playing exactly the same as on records.

8. davidjackson

davidjackson

Sep 10, 2011
    UK
    I saw Maiden this year and would actually complain about Murray. At least Gers looks like he is enjoying himself. Dave Murray just stood on the spot looking vaguely embarrased and nodding in an 'understanding way' at the crowd whenever they got excited. It was like watching a patient grandfather surrounded by boisterous children on Christmas morning.

Out of the whole band it is only Dave Murray who is seriously looking old now and I felt sorry for him. He even dressed in a ridiculous way which was obviously more for comfort than style...

I'm not trying to take anything away from Dave's playing but it really is time to hang it up.

Mr Harris continues to be incredible.