1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Saw Jamiroquai´s show in Caracas last night......

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by CaracasBass, Mar 29, 2006.

1. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    ...and Paul Turner amazed me, he got the FUNK out of the band in every song. He used a white Stingray 5 in almost every song, and a Jazz in 2 or 3, and for the encore he straped on a F bass (I think). Very nice and dirty sound. I even took some pics (it´s nice to be a photographer for an entertaiment webpage/magazine:D)

Enjoy the pics!!

paulturner1.
    paulturner2.
    paulturner3.

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Woah!
    Yes, that is sweet!

...and I'm trying to dig his outfit, but it's hard.

3. clayton

clayton

Jun 26, 2005
    Cool pics, I'm gonna see them tonight here in Bogotá.

4. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    For a minute, i read this thread as "Saw Jamiroquai's Carcass last night..."

:eek:

5. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    that man is a bass monster.

I bought my fretless sei jazz off of him, and a nice guy to boot.

Dave

6. Cool pics, man. Thanks for putting those up!:hyper:

7. He's a great player but I still miss Zender

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Thanks for the post... one of the few 'newer bands' that this old funkster really enjoys!

9. A band that I played in a few years ago, used to support his band quite regularly, on a Friday night in a pub in Selly oak, Birmingham (England that is).
    He's a really cool, really nice bloke.:bassist:

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Me too, then I read it as "Saw Jamiroquai/Carcass show last night." The metal band carcass is doing shows with a funk pop band now?

11. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Paul's doing a fantastic job! Saw them back in September play Manchester, and it was one of the best Gigs I've ever seen...Paul put Fyffe to shame ;)

Glad you enjoyed the gig, and cool pics!

12. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    I saw them last year....fantastic show! Me, my percussionist and my bass student got there early and got a spot dead centre on the front barrier....absolutely amazing to watch them in action. Most of Paul's basses were in a multi-stand, but the F Bass (I'd never seen one before then) was sitting there in its own stand in full view, tantalising me for the whole set without being played! I decided near the end that I was going to yell at Paul if he didn't pick that one up for the next song ;) He took the stingray off and walked towards the basses, and I yelled "PLAY THE HOT BASS! THE HOT BASS!', and as he reached towards it I yelled "Yes, that one!". He then moved his hand towards a Jazz, to which I responded "NO, NOT THAT ONE! THE HOT BASS", and then he moved back and grabbed the F.

I have no idea whether he actually heard me or not, but he was grinning at me quite a bit ;)

Anyways thats my little story :smug:

13. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    I hear really good things about Paul before i went to their show in Montreal, and i was really disappointed. Nobody "lock" with nobody, it waslike "allright...this song again" The singer have done a great show.. but nobody in the band look at the other.. Paul wasn't "on" with the Drummer...

and this is one of my favorite band.. i was sad.. Surely it was a bad day for them, we don't know... It's cool that they was "on" for the rest of the tour.

14. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Probably just thought you were a nutter mate!! ;)

Haha, Paul's a really nice guy apparently, I know a guy who was at the same gig as you and went backstage after to hang out with him, and apparently he's very down to earth.

15. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005

Paul not 'locking' with Derrick MacKenzie? Paul's a pro, he's been playing for years and years now, and despite Zender's absense, he's done a great job filling a notoriously hard spot to fill, so on the contrary I think he's done a marvelous job so far. Maybe he was just having an off day.

16. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    +1

17. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Zender will be back soon with his new band, so stop ya belly achin'!;)

18. Belka

Belka

Dec 10, 2003
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Originally Posted by Piedro
    I hear really good things about Paul before i went to their show in Montreal, and i was really disappointed. Nobody "lock" with nobody, it waslike "allright...this song again" The singer have done a great show.. but nobody in the band look at the other.. Paul wasn't "on" with the Drummer...

and this is one of my favorite band.. i was sad.. Surely it was a bad day for them, we don't know... It's cool that they was "on" for the rest of the tour.
    [/I][/I]

I think they can be a bit on and off with their live shows. I saw them at the Birmingham NEC on the Travelling Without Moving tour with Zender and I can honestly call it the most disappointing shows I've been to. Part of the problem was that the sound was bad, not their fault, but they just seemed to be going through the motions. Zender and Derrick really didn't groove, it sounded lumpen, if that's a real word. In addition, they really only concentrated on the travelling without moving album (their weakest in my opinion), all the songs from Emergency on Planet Earth and Space Cowboy were just put into medleys.

It's strange because all their TV appearances and the live in Verona DVD are superb.

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    In Paul's defense, Derrick ain't exactly the world's grooviest drummer. I thought Nick Van Gelder was better.

20. rymix

rymix

Mar 14, 2006
    Paul's a bit good, isn't he? :D