Saw King's X last night

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by embellisher, Sep 23, 2004.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

These guys are older than me, but they still rock hard! It was a great show, first of the new tour.

I got all three of them to sign the back of my Hamer 12 string.:D

This was my 8th or 9th time to see them, and they were as good as any of the other times.

They have a new studio CD coming out, and they played 4 songs from it. Pretty cool stuff!

The highlights, though, for me, were Visions and We were born to be loved.

They also played Mister Wilson, which is one of my favorite songs. I had never heard them do that one live before!!!
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I have Tape Head, but only really dig the first song. Is it a good representaion of their stuff or can you recommend another album to get?
  3. Awesome I would love to see Kings X.
    Get Dogman. Thier best album.
  4. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Their first two albums (Out of the Silent Planet and Gretchen Goes to Nebraska) are what I would recommend. Gretchen is kind of regarded the same way Rush's Moving Pictures and Yes' Fragile is; the "one album" to own if you could only have one album. I haven't heard much of their newer stuff beyond the Dogman album (which is also good, but a little darker and harder edged than their earlier stuff.)

I've seen them a few times live, always excellent! Useless trivia: you can see the back of my head briefly in the video for "Over My Head"
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i'd second the recommendation for gretchen. they changed producers with dogman and ever since then, to my ears, they seem to be searching for a "sound".
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Man I just LOVE the album Dogman. It's fantastic, IMO. I love those chunky, hard-edged grooves and hooks mixed with the great vocal harmonies. I'm not REAL acquainted with them...not enough to know producers and stuff but it the producer of Dogman was definitely more into putting the guitars real forward in your face and stuff...more of a modern sound. While the albums before that seem to have more of an 80's style of production and mixing...of course that could be because they're from the 80's. ;) To me the instruments of the earlier albums seem a bit deflated compared to Dogman.

brad cook
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Out of the silent planet, Gretchen, and Dogman would be a good place to start, Mark. Tapehead is probably my least favorite of their studio recordings, although it has its moments.
  8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tapehead is probably my favorite King's X album! I also love Ear Candy, Dogman, Gretchen, and Faith Hope Love. None of them are bad though!
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wow, I guess I made a good call when i picked up dogman. Killer album. Favorite "metal" bass tone.
  10. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Absolutely Matt. Doug's tone is awesome.
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I love "Mr Wilson" also.

My personal favorite King's X album is "Ear Candy" but I like most of them. I don't like the sound of the first few very much, too tight and constricted sounding. "Dogman" sounds MASSIVE.
  12. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I agree..I think that's kinda part of what I was trying to say earlier.

brad cook