1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

saw Korn and mudvayne last nite...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Apr 2, 2006.

1. fun show!

i am more of a korn fan than mudvayne, but they were both a lot of fun, and both had a very high energy show imo. I wasn't too impressed with mudvayne, because although i don't know a lot of songs by them, a lot of tb'ers claim that he is simply amazing. Unfourtunatly, i couldn't hear a thing he was playing. He was running all over the stage like crazy though.

Korn was good, I know that Fieldy takes a lot of crap for his tone, but i do have to say, the tic-tac was still there (although more subtle than usual) but i could hear him. I was impressed because i have seen a lot of metal bands, and fieldy is the only metal bass player who can actually cut through the heavy (and turned up a little too high) drums...thats my opinion, i know a lot of you tb'ers don't like fieldy for the tone, but if you go to his concert, he cuts through, and I can appreciate that :)

All in all, a great show :)

2. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Glad you enjoyed the gig...everyone can say what they want about that Fieldy bloke, but if you like a band, then you like a band...who cares what the Bassist is doing? :)

3. Cool. I haven't heard much Mudvayne, but I'd like to know an example of Ryno (sp?) and his awesome bass playing.

4. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    his old name was ryknow but now he's just ryan lol. pretty much all of LD50 is amazing

5. I have seen many videos of mudvayne's bassist playing, and his style seems a little confusing. It looks like he is always just plucking rather than a standard finger swipe, yet he has incredible speed.

It just goes to show that there are so many different styles of playing.

6. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    AL
    I've seen Korn twice and Mudvayne right after LD50 came out. Interesting show for sure. I believe Ryan had upper torso painted silver with an orange mohawk. Whatever, still sounded good.

Korn rocked both times. The show I saw with them and Rob Zombie right after Follow the Leader came out was incredible.

7. Did Ryan use his warwick vampyre??

8. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    LUCKY!!!

9. shaggysivirus

shaggysivirus

Feb 19, 2006
    wicked! I like both bands, Mudvayne more so and Ryan is an amazing bassist.

10. nope...he used a different warwick...i don't know all the warwick models by heart, but i want to say it was a thumb...or maybe a corvette

11. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I'm going to see them on tuesday.

I better be able to hear ryan!

12. let me know if you do...theres a good chance it might just be the venue (target center minneapolis)

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That would be the problem with Ryan's loooooowww tuning. On album, any good producer could mix his low fancy fretwork at a audible level while having plenty low end... live... I'd think it damn near impossible to get a mix where the bass to sound "clear" among the loud distorted guitars, I'd think it his playing would all kinda blend together live. :meh:

14. yeah, i heard his bass when they were soundchecking, but they also did have it turned up very loud either...the only time i could hear him live was at that popping part of dig, and that was only because he is the only playing at that moment!

15. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I saw Mudvayne at the State Theatre in Detroit last year. It was quite the opposite. He was definatly heard!!! Even with drums booming, he cut through without any problems.

Rumor has it, that they may play in my hometown of li ol Jackson, MI. We just had a Sevendust concert here that sold out....promoters and bands I guess took notice.

16. At a concert like that where you are sitting makes all the differance in what you hear. Someone on the other side of the building might have said that all you could hear was ryan's bass. At a large venue it is impossable to get an even mix.

lowsound

17. true...i was more toward the back right in the middle...actually about 15 feet from the sound guy...that might have to do a lot with it...i suppose i could have gotten closer to the stage...

still a good show whether i could hear ryknow or not :)

18. Usually the further back you are the better you can hear the bass (bass waves are longer than guitar waves so they are easier to hear at a greater distance than when you are super close). Funny that you were that close to the soundguy and still didn't here a good mix. Usually the best mix is right by the soundguy.

lowsound

19. Ha! Not with the sound guys round here!;)
    Back on topic, I'm not much of a Korn fan, but I saw them at a festival two years ago (how time flies... I could have sworn it was lat summer!) and was pretty impressed with the way Fieldy locked with the drummer. He may not have amazing chops, but his groove was pretty sound. Just need to work on the rest of the band now....:p

20. thats what i was thinking...but i just don't think the sound guy cares much for the bass player, unless ryan was really really locked in playing one note that sounded a heck of a lot like the bass drum :)
    i also had a friend in the pits in front and one in the seating further behind me and none of them could hear it...so it must just have been the sound guy at the venue