Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saw Lony Levin Last Night

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Professor X, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Motown
    My Friend gave my an early Christmas Present... 5th row tickets to see Peter Gabriel last night in Minneapolis. Aside from a few MAJOR technical glitches... Like the PA dying 6 or 7 times... The show was awesome... and Tony is THE MAN... He was tight and funky on every sony they did! If any of you get the chance you should definatly go and see this tour (once they fire their sound company anyway)... Any other talkbassers out there at the show last night?

2. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I'm going to the Philly show tomorrow night! :D Can't wait!!

3. I'd hate to miss him because he didn't even deign to make one stop in Texas ...

4. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I saw PG, TL and crew in Philly last night.

It was an amazing show. I'm not going to give any spoilers because there are a few fun surprises in the show.

I did notice that TLev is not using Funk Fingers much anymore ... I only noticed them on one or two songs.

The PA did cut out once, and there was a problem with PG's sampler before the last encore, but PG and the band treated the problems very humorously.

One last thing -- the Blind Boys of Alabama are incredible. They go on promptly at 8, so if you're going -- you don't want to miss them!!

5. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Motown
    Hey did Tony play stick in Philly? He didn't play it at all in Minneapolis... even on salsbury hill.

6. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Nope, no Stick. He mostly played the orange Stingray 5, and the NS Design EUB. He also busted out a black Stingray 4, an NS Design cello, and a Guild (or Gibson?) hollowbody 4 string, for one song apiece.

7. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Do someone here have a picture of tony with his orange bass?

8. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    From his website:
    [​IMG]

9. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    thats shiny!!! (and funky!!!:D)

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Good old Tony...always willing to strike a pose.

brad cook

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Just saw him in Cleveland last night - well worth the drive up from Columbus (and the hefty ticket price).

No problems with the PA, but they did go on late - I was told by one of the gate agents when rejecting my attempt at 6:00pm admission that the stage setup was running 3 hours late !!!! What's with this production company, anyway???

Regardless, it was a great show, and TLev is simply larger than life. I've been a fan of his for a long time, but when you see that dude live and he spreads out his legs and hunkers over that bass, its simply magical. Gabriel wouldn't be anywhere near the same without him, that's for sure.

As with others here, I won't post any spoilers. I just hope the concert comes out on DVD someday . . . if any of you get a chance to catch this show, you won't be dissappointed, even at the price.

12. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Motown

I'll second that :D

13. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly

14. PG is coming to So. Cal. in a few weeks. We've got tix to see him at the Anaheim Pond.

My wife and I saw the Tony Levin band about 6 months ago at a small, local venue.

If you get the chance to see his band, by all means go!

BTW - Tony's band has Jerry Marotta and Larry Fast, which, with Tony, is 3/4ths of PG's touring band from the late 70s and early 80s.

15. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Saw PG with T Levin in Cleveland as well. Great show, worth the bucks, but only about half full. Wonder if that had more to do with the ticket prices or his lack of new material for nearly 10 years?

Ant idea what bass that red one was?

16. I don't know for sure about the bass, but Tony's main axes are MM Stingrays - both fretted and fretless. I can't remember what color he had here with his band. If it's an upright, that's his NS Design.

As for the show, I'm guessing it's less the prices than the fact there has been no new material for 10 years and that the new PG album is really dark and got panned in reviews. PG really needs to get some of his work on DVD - like the Secret World tour.

17. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Looked like a Gibson or Guild...

18. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Motown
    According to the PG Website here's his gear:Music Man 5 String Sting Ray Bass, NS Electric Upright, NS Electric Cello, Music Man Fretless 4 String, Gibson EB2, Nord Bass Backing Vocals...

So I'm gonna guess it's a Gibson EB2 :D

19. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Any Body have Idea on set list PG is in town tonight Im thinking of goin down there. WHat kind of stuff will I hear?

AJ

20. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Motown
    Old and new... it was a great show...They hit all of my favs... Soldsbury Hill, Sledgehammer, In your eyes, Mercy street, Secret World, as well as most of the good stuff from the new album.