Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saw Lynyrd Skynyrd last night... (oh the irony)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Saw Lynyrd Skynyard last night. They did a decent job for being as washed up and old as they are. This is nothing against Skynyrd, but there are times when bands just need to hang it up.

Anyway, they played a "Red White And Blue" song. This was followed by a chopped up version of the Star Spangled Banner. The funny part was, people were waving Confederate flags during this, including on the backdrop of the stage.

Don't you think that waving a flag that represents succession from the United States when you're trying to honor America is lame?

And this is to say nothing of how incredibly tasteless that sort of thing is.

Let's keep it non-political guys.

2. Aren't you glad that there will be plenty of folks to tell you when you are washed up?

3. yeh, this was the only thing that got to me when Skynyrd played, completly awesome, but that flag represent slavory (doesnt it?) hell, there were even FANS waving it!!! :eyebrow:

mind you, id love to see them again, it was a truly wonderful show!

then Deep Purple came on and rocked! woot! :smug:

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Did you request Freebird as loudly and boorishly as you possibly could?

5. lol, but many did and I instantly thought of TB and the bashing biker-fans get from requesting that song!
    they turned off all the lights and had a huge disco ball come down and that lit up the room, it was quite touching, very inspirational and as i said, enjoyable! :cool:
    go skynyrd! :ninja:

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'd like to think I'd have the grace to stop playing if I didn't enjoy it anymore (it was pretty clear that they didn't). Who knows though, maybe it was an off-night.

7. Id rather see the Allman Brothers, or BOSTON who is coming here, prolly the biggest stars to ever come here in this **** state of Mississippi. Youd think that as much as rockers love the blues, that they would come to the place where it originated, but no....

8. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    as far as I know, Skynyrd waves the confederate flag because their label wanted them to appear more "Southern". Nothing to do with slavery, racism, etc. YMMV with the fans though, lol.

although NBC(or ABC) filmed the Jeff Foxworthy show in Bloomington, IN because they didn't want the show to appear too southern....have they heard Jeff speak? :D

9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Actually, both of those bands played here last year. We have a pretty nice 10-11 day festival each year where they get bands to play each night. A pass for all 11 days is only $80. Good deal.

10. Well, I guess you have to give them credit for at least bathing before the show. :smug:

11. chunkybass

chunkybass

Jul 3, 2004
    we also saw them a few weeks ago in Orrillia Ont...glad they came north...was actually wondering who is their Bass player now?..looked to me like he and the whole band where having fun(isnt that part of the reason why we play?)...thanks people :

12. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

I think I saw that tour also. I saw Skynard w/ Deep Purple and Ted Nugent.

I've never been a big fan Nugent's music, haven't heard that much, but never got into him, or had any desire to anyway. Still, he still puts on a solid live show. Nothing outrageous, but he wasn't a boring for sure.

Deep Purple I enjoyed greatly, Steve Morse in place of gypsy-in-waiting Richie Blackmore. Great live set, for some reason, though, the singer had some bongos set up which he seemed to chime in with at the weirdest times. I couldn't hear them in the mix though, just weird is all.

The crowd loved Lynard Skynard (confederate flags abounded, despite the fact that it was upstate New York...)but it seemed more for nostalgia than any genuine awe their stage prescence inspired. Most of the people were in their 40s or so and had probably been fans of theirs from the 70's. Skynard were tired and uninspiried. I just wanted them to play "Freebird" so I could convince my friends to go home (which we did loudly and boorishly call for). Their set thoroughly disappointed and ruined any glimmer of interest I would have in their music.

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    +1

I think the biggest act Jackson has ever seen was, get ready, Bon Jovi and he got hit in the face with a bottle and swore to never come back. It really is sad that no great (popular and non-popular) bands come to MS.

Not sure if you dig heavy music, but the Tool show in Biloxi rocked hard.

Are the Allman Bros coming to MS? I would love to see them.

14. i doubt the Allman brothers are coming, but they should considering the fact that they are "Southern rock" . It really sucks.

15. It was the national flag for the Confederate States of America - which was all the southern states when they seceded from the Union in the 1860's.

Unfortunately (IMO), the flag has been mis-used by many (such as the KKK). Due to this association, it has come to carry a very negative and hateful connotation for a lot of people. However, there are also many people to whom the flag represents an aspect of their heritage. A heritage they are proud of - not because of racist attitudes.

So the flag means different things to different people, but I don't think many actually see it as promoting slavery.

(not trying to be political, just trying to provide a bit of a balanced perspective).

16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Their newest album Hitting the Note is very good. I wish they would at least come to Mississippi, but oh well.