Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saw Marcus Miller last night!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JohnL, Jun 24, 2002.

1. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    :eek:

(Pardon me while I finish burning my basses)

Maybe the most awesome show I've ever seen! The level of talent of every band member on that stage was incredible. Poogie Bell on drums laid down some of the funkiest beats I've ever heard. Also, I've never been a big fan of the trumpet (apologies to Miles), but Michael Stewart just about made me change my mind! Then...there was Marcus. I've never seen him before last night. It seems that just listening to his cd's sort of numbs you to what he is actually doing, but to see him do it live reminds you of just how impressive it is to pull off those licks, and do it for two hours! May have been the best live sounding bass I've ever heard. Never "boomy" or uneven, but tight, focused, and articulate all across the spectrum. But the thing I most enjoyed was the expression of the whole band. Instead of looking like a band doing yet another in a long string of concerts, I felt like they were just a bunch of friends jammin' in their basement and just happened to invite a thousand friends over. Can't wait to see him again! If you get the chance, don't miss him. Check his schedule at www.marcusmiller.com.

2. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Every bass player should hear Marcus playing Tutu live! When I saw him live there were 9 Turbosound subs each side of the stage and it sounded HUGE.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I saw him on the Tales tour - AWESOME.

The band ripped too, and seeing a slightly overweight Hiram Bullock dance was....well, it was :D

4. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    No kidding! He was almost finished with the set and he said "Alright, now what do y'all wanna hear?" Almost the entire room shouted in unison: "Tutu!" After they played it, he talked a little about it:

"People ask me if I ever get tired of playing that song. I tell 'em I will never get tired of playing that song! I can still hear Miles talkin' to me every time I play it.

(Marcus imitating Miles' voice) "Marcus...Marcus...you're playing it too fast...stop shouting...Marcus...Marcus...you like these shoes?"

I guess it had been an inside joke between him and Miles, but the audience loved it! :D

5. I'd love to hear him when he gets to the Montreal Jazz Festival, but I'm out of the country on the one day he's there!! I guess I'll have to wait til after the summer...

My most played CD (since I purchased it this spring) - Marcus Miller Live and More. :cool:

6. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I'm not kidding guys, maybe the best show I've ever seen. I don't want to offend anyone here, but not having seen him before, I was hoping it wasn't just going to be a 2 hour slap-fest. Marcus instead showed how talented he was across the entire spectrum of playing techniques, and while he certainly thumped and slapped his fingers off, he also exhibited his talents with fingerstyle funk, harmonics, fretless, and even played a mean bari-sax on "Amazing Grace", which almost started a revival right there in the theater! If you are only thinking of going...GO! If you have to work....CALL IN SICK! It was well worth it!

7. Kong: Thanks for the pics!!

*listening to 'Panther' live, imagining he's at the show....*:cool:

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Marcus will be here on Saturday at the Carter Barron. The leader of one of the bands I work with, Jazz vocalist Debbie Kirkland will also be on the bill. I'll probably go.

I need to start paying attention... AWB was just here. Tickets were $18. Damn.

9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    For a guy who is deaf in one ear, Marcus ain't bad at all. ;)

10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I learned this morning in the news paper that he was here last night!!!!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

11. Yeah - I missed him the last time he went thru Dallas, too... :mad:

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Got back from the show a few hours ago. My girl Debbie Kirkland opened up with a killer set. She put together a crew of top notch session folks for the set, including Clyde Bullard on bass. She has a new CD coming soon and it's very nice. She hooked me up with full access for the shows. Took my wife and son.

Marcus was Marcus. No surprise there. Excellent set, especially Patches Stewart. The big thing for for me though, as a long time Hiram Bullock fan, was to finally hear and see Dean Brown. That was a show all by itself. Dean is a heck of a player and enthusiatic as heck;)

We had a great time, we'd already been backstage before the show and stopped by afterwards but I didn't bug Marcus. It was a good evening, ran into lots of friends, even saw a buddy who first got me started playing bass way back when, for the first time in maybe 5 or 6 years. The Carter Barron is a great place to catch an act outdoors.

13. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Is Dean Brown's CD "Here" any good Brad? I know that Marcus did at least one track on there with him.

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Haven't heard i yet, e. If his playing last night is represented on the cd it should be a lot of fun.

15. Yeah brad i was there too that was an amazing show at carter baron... its just a shame the Park made him end so early, We all would have enjoyed hearing Debbie and marcus longer.

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    It's right in the middle of a residential area so I understand the sound curfew.

17. ohh i never thought of that, thanks for clearin that up :D