Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saw Metallica last night

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Jan 26, 2004.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Last night after lining up for 6 hours, i saw Metallica, my favourite band of all time at the Big Day Out Last night.

Just watching their crew set up was amazing. Kirks guitar tech came on statge and everyone was cheering because he had kirks custom 'Cattion HOT' guitar. I was just staring at it with my freind going 'thats kirk hammets guitar. We were 2 rows from the front, so in total about 3 meters (10 foot). anyway The Hudu Gurus were on stage before metallica, and James popped his head around the corner to see them, and everyone cheered. He eventually got the idea that he wasnt helping the Hudu Gurus perfrom, and left. Damnit. Anyway, the Wall of Amplification came on. There were about 8 dual rectifired on only god knows how many 4x12 marshall cabs. I was a bit peeved only seeing 3 Ampeg SVT-3's and 6 Ampeg 4x10s, but ah well. One of the techies moved the amps too fast, and a dual rectifier head fel onto the ground. No damage of corse, but it was just funny to see a $3500 piece of musical equipment fall 2.5 meters :D

Anyway the Extacy of Gold came on and i was amost crying. This was it, ive been waiting 6 years to see metallica, and this was it. Anyway The all came on stage, and the Volume swell of 'Blackened' began. Lars jumped behind his kit at the very last second, and began.

Before 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' Rob did a bass solo, and i was quite impressed. Very Impressed actually. The most amusing part of the night was when everyone in the crowd started to sing the guitar solos, and James said 'That was some mighty fine singing. You all did good aswell' and when he asked us to sing his solo part in Master Of Puppets. The St Anger songs were average, but Dirty window was that bad actually. Creeping Death came on, and eveyone was yelling the 'DIE' part. They finished the night with enter sandman and a huge pyro technics display during the gun into of 'One'. Last night was THE best gig i have been to. Ever.

Anyway i just thought id let you all know that (IMO) Metallica are far from over. Even if you dont like them, if they are doing a show near you, go and see, the atmosphere, the vibe, the whole sensation is just amazing. Now, i can look foward to seeing them again tomorrow at their sideshow :D

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Very cool, i am happy for you their is no other expirence like a Metallica concert. Did they play unnamed feeling and any of the stuff of the load records?.They are still my favorite and i cant wait to here what they do next. Keep Rockin

3. MAJOR METAL

PS

I had a very cool expirence with Metallica gear, actually it was after Jason left the band and i was at Sadowsky's shop and i got to see about five of Jason's giging bass up close, one of the coolest moments in my bass expirences.

4. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Nah, there was no 'Unamed Feeling' supprisingly. Heres the entire set list:

Blackened
    Creeping Death
    Harvester of Sorrow
    Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    For Whom The Bell Tolls
    Frantic
    Sad But True
    Dirty Window
    Seek and Destroy
    Fade to Black
    Battery
    --------
    St. Anger
    Nothing Else Matters
    Master of Puppets
    --------
    One
    Enter Sandman

5. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    So how was Robert Trujillo's playing?

6. *sigh* I would die if I saw them play One live,aww man that'd be nuts.

7. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Spot on as always!

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  9. MAJOR METAL

James Hetfield in my opinion is one of the best rock rythym guitar players out their and he also has some great tattoos.

10. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Metallica shows always rule!!! I will see them next time they come around. Best live show ever...well, after Maiden ;)

11. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Im going to their side show again tonight. Ill try and take my old mans camera and get some photos ;)

12. MAJOR METAL

maybe the set list will be diffrent to night, how have you found their live performance to be without Jason Newsted.

13. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I never did see 'Tallica with Jason, but one thing i have noticed about this leg of their tour, James introduced the entire band because they havent been down here since 1996, and there wasnt as much swearing between songs. In the bridge of 'Creeping Death' he yelled 'ARE YOU ALIVE MELL-BORN' and of corse everyone screamed, he said it again, but added 'IF YOUR ALIVE GIMME A **** YEAH JAMES' and so forth.

He did the same thing in the break of battery as he does in S&M, 'ARE YOU ALIVE *scream* HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE ALIVE *scream* SHOW ME *guitar solo*'

He certainly gets the crowd into their music. One other thing i noticed, is that every where else they have played, james finishes the night by going 'We are Metallica, you are our freinds, we thank you, our friends, for coming down and making us feel good man', which seems rather unusual for Metallica.

14. MAJOR METAL

James time in rehab and group therapy with the band has greatly changed the way he relates to people, he is not as nasty or overbaring with the audeince as he used to be. Many have observed the diffrence in him live. Jason said in an inrerview about a year ago" he is a changed man".

15. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    That was another amazing thing, standing 5 foot away from him, just looking at him and thinking about what he has done and where he has been through in his life. That made me get teary :D

16. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Oh holy jeebus, they better be coming to maine!