Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saw North Mississippi Allstars last night...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by iplaybass, Oct 27, 2002.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Went down to Arts in the Park and saw North Mississippi Allstars last night. Stellar show, the band is incredible. Chris was using a Lakland 5er with an SWR head and 6x10. His tone was great, but his playing was better! Anybody else ever seen North Mississippi Allstars? They do a fair bit of touring and I know they went to Bonnarru, so if you get the chance, go see them!

2. i dig the north mississippi all stars
    peace
    frank

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Any special guests? Robert Randolph and John Medeski sit in with them every now and then.

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i know those guys from WAYYYYY back from bein in the memphis music scene back then. those guys are a hoot and MONSTER players. who else played?

5. Saw them in Kalamazoo, MI a couple weeks ago. Great show - I also saw them three years ago in Memphis.

Chris started out on his Modulus but it developed some technical problems and he finished the show on his Lakland.

Maybe he hasn't got the Modulus fixed yet ;)

6. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    Ive yet to see them live. My Brother has seen them a couple times live. He went to school with Cody and Luther when we moved to Hernando, MS.
    Cody is a cool dude though. He was always giving my brother mix tapes of 80s punk stuff. I think it might be codys fault i like the replacements i dunno. *shrug* oh yeah Codys and luthers dad Jim Dickinson also played on a rolling stone album..hehe cool!
    i know some famous people! finally!
    Now if i can meet Milo Aukerman and Karl alvarez.. Ill die happy..

7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    actually jim produced ALOT of recordings you'd be familiar with.

also urban legend has it that the "cowbell" skit from SNL is based on none other than Jim dickinson!

8. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    It was amazing, I'm not very familiar with the band, so I don't know if they had guest players or not, but they played a great 1.5 hour set with only one short break. They all definately are monster players; and I saw Chris's Modulus on his rack of basses behind him. He was still playing the Lakland, though.

9. I own a Lakland - same model as Chris. I'd leave just about anything else on the stand too :D

10. saw them with oysterhead on hbo kick ass band .i want there cd.