Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saw 'Rock Star'-the movie yesterday.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ironmaidenisgod, Jun 24, 2004.

1. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Cool sh*t.
    Some questions:
    1.)Is it based on the Ripper-Halford story with the original singer being gay and everything?If so Ripper has been portrayed unrealistically cuz Halford kicks his arse.
    2.)I think I saw Zakk Wylde's name in the credits once the movie was over.Was I hallucinating or did he really play a role?
    3.)What message does the first half of the film want to convey?That improvisation is bad and you've got to cover songs EXACTLY as they are? :rolleyes:
    4.)Who does Mark Wahlberg's vocals?He's got a Bon Scott voice!! :hyper:

Thanks.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    1) Yes.
    2) Yes.
    3) Most of us don't read that much into a film about heavy metal.
    4) I imagine Wahlberg. He was a rapper (i.e. vocalist of some sort) before he was an actor, and I checked IMDB, and there was no credit for his singing voice, meaning it was probably him.

3. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    What part did Zakk Wylde play?

4. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Oh come on!

You don't remember Marky Mark???
    :smug:

5. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    The over-hyped guitarist.

6. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Really. :meh: Looks totally different.

7. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I dunno if he's that old, dude.

He's just, what? 18?

8. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Hey, you have to give some props to the Funky Bunch as well.

9. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    That's right.

10. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Well, we certainly can't forget the Funky Bunch. Marky Mark's group would have a much shorter name without them.

11. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Zakk Wylde was the guitarist that "shot every damn thing he saw."

Wahlberg did all the vocals, I saw a special on it. He's pretty talented.

I *acquired* 2 of the songs from that movie, we all die young and stand up and shout. I could have sworn that we all die young was a song from another band :/.

12. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    I think a local musician up here in Spokane WA did all the arrangements for the songs. I could have sworn he did vocals too, but karrot-x makes me think I made that up.

Same dude was tapped for Slash's new band (Velvet Revolver, I assume), but had to decline, because his hearing was too shot after spending too much time recording and producing in his home studio. Just took him one summer of irresponsibility to screw himself over. Sad.

13. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I'm only 16 and I'm aware of Marky Mark.

...The half-naked rapper guy right?

14. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I know Wahlberg did vocals on it, I can't say that he did 100% of them but from the special it appeared so. I really like Velvet Revolvers new song :).

15. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Ok here's the story...(watch the DVD with the commentary on for confirmation)
    Zakk Wylde, Jeff Pilson, and Jason Bonham starred in the movie and were responsible for the majority of the songwriting. Jeff also had to play mediator a few times when Zakk and Jeff could not agree on the writing. The original music was also recorded by these same musicians and the majority of the vocals were done by Mike Matievich (Steelheart) and a little actually was performed by Wahlberg.

Also, the rythym guitarist in the tribute band at the beginning of the movie is Nick "Evil Twin" Cantnese who is Zakk's rythym guitarist in Black Label Society, the drummer in the tribute band is Blas Elias (Slaughter).

The Judas Priest aspect of the plot is correct although the director of the movie was hesitant to admit it for many years (dunno why...it's pretty obvious).

And if I am not mistaken, the very last song (where Wahlberg is singing in the coffee house) on the movie was performed by the singer of The Verve Pipe.

I downloaded the soundtrack, for a fan of "hair metal" it's actually pretty good. Zakk is hands down the "man" when it comes to the guitar and Pilson is actually a really good bass player...Jason Bonham??? I could take him or leave him to be honest.

Black Label Rulz! :D

16. watched it a while back... cool movie.

17. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Thanks for the info,Razor.

BTW,what a waste of a voice.If Mark really did all of the vocals,why's he still rapping.

Did a search of Marky Mark on google.

Now I know.I feel wise. :)

18. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    correct. He also played the bassist in blood pollution

19. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I really have a problem with the part where they go to the concert and Marky Mark is singing so loud the band can hear him..... over the crowd, the speakers, the monitors, they're amps and instruments, not to mention the singer is singing at the time. I found it a little hard to swallow. I play onsome small stages and I can never hear a word people are screaming basically in my ear sometimes.

20. STAND UP AND SHOUT! >_<

:)

I like the movie.