Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saw the coolest bass today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Intrepid, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    It was on the Saturday Early Show(CBS I think), it was an upbeat contemporary jazz band. It was shaped like a 4-string Sting Ray complete with the egg-shaped pickguard. The pickups included a MM and a Jazz at the neck, both had covers to hide the magnetic poles. The pickguard was black, so you could barely see the pickups and the body was yellow. The thing is, it was a 5-string bass. It appeared to have a Fender Deluxe 5 neck, the ones with the bar instead of the string-tree and it had 4 tuners up top and only one at the bottom. Also the control plate was quite different looking, it had much smaller knobs, and totally got rid of the metal plate. Was much more compact in the area. The sound was unbelieveable...I'm guessing he used the standard EB preamp, cuz it sounded exactly like Sting Ray, but with just more bass, which I'm guessing is from the j p/u. When I was flipping channels, before I even saw the bass player, I knew it was a Sting Ray...then I looked at, and I was ***, 5-string with egg-shape pg. Thats my new dream bass....was totally cool. Sounded amazing.

2. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Do you guys have any idea who might have produced a bass like this?

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I could see how one could mod a SR 4..take a new bridge, and round a MM 5er pup into the 4 spot, route in a J, and then widen the neck pocket to accomodate a new neck. Actually wouldn't cost that much. Maybe 500ish after the inital purchase of a SR 4

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Why should I? I think i'd be fine being in one peice.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well unless it had an MM bridge and headstock - you could easily make something like that with warmoth parts, just use the P-bass body and have a custom pickguard made.

jason

6. Well, you came close to describing a Lakland Classic or Standard 55-94.

They have a body similar to the MM, a 4/1 tuner configuration, and they also have the J/MM pickup configuration. I'm not sure about the tear drop pickguard and controls, though.