Saw the Fantomas last night

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Crrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy. It's unbelivable that they can do what they do live. They were playing with Melt Bannana and End. First of all, to cover the "guy" stuff. As far as hot bass players go... the girl from Melt Bannana is very attractive. Crazy music too. Like a less Chaotic Dillinger Escape Plan fronted by an Asian girl. End was... some guy with a computer playing techno music... not that impressive. Music was OK, but it wasn't... live.

During Melt Bannana, these 6 kids slightly yonger than me were moshing and no one wanted them to mosh, everyone was getting really annoyed. They kept running into my back (see my I hate moshing thread) so I pushed them as hard as I could back, but they thought it was all in good fun. So next time one of them ran into me, I grabbed them by the shirt and took them down hard. My friend broke us up... but there was no more moshing. This hippie guy patted me on the back and said thank you. It's good to be appreciated.

Now... the Fantomas... amazing... simply amazing. I especially gained a new respect for Mr. Dave Lombardo. Not only is he a total monster ala Slayer, he is also a total master of dynamics. It was like Patton was the conductor and Lombardo was the star... unbelievable. When he started playing his smaller symbols with a bow, I just sat there in awe. Everybody just stared at him and I heard about 20 people say at once... I would have never thought of that. Buzz is a crazy guitarist, he plays mostly rhythm stuff, but when he does strange little lead stuff, it really fits. A helluva lot of respect for Trevor Dunn. He got be a bit more flashy in Mr. Bungle, he did some cool stuff last night, but he mostly just really held things together/made things really heavy. The bass was a very important part of their sound. And what can be said about Patton that hasn't been said...

I bought Chapter 1 last night, I already owned directors cut. I don't think I'll buy the new one, I heard it and it remains pretty consistant throughout and is only one 74 minute track. But seeing them live was a real treat, an amazing artistic experience and I recommend everyone who has an open mind to catch them live at least once. Who knows how long it will be before one of the egos (cough Patton) in that band get too big and they break up.

Viva Los Fantomas!
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Sweet. Hadn't heard melt banana before now.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Not sure about the drummer's history, but yeah, he was pretty damn good. The singer, yeah, it's a little asian girl trying to be hardcore... weird. But weird is a term that I would use to describe them. I'll have to pick up some of their albums in the future.
  4. fantomas rawks. i met my wife at one of their shows. looking forward to seeing them next wed night.

you should pick up the new one. it's well worth it.