Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saw The Ring last night.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by electricdemon3, Oct 22, 2002.

1. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I am a huge fan of horror movies and fankly, I have been very unhappy with what has been comming out of hollywood in the last, say 15 years or so in the genre. However, this movie actually caught my attention. It wasn't as great as they are hyping it up to be, but I have to say I was impressed.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has seen the original, the japanese movie, Ringu and how does the remake compare?

Also feel free to comment on the movie in general if you have anything to share.

2. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Have not seen it yet, but hoping to this weekend...Is it worth paying the money to go and see?

3. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I would definitely recommend seeing it while it is still playing in theaters.

4. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Cool, thanx

5. Saw the preview on TV...... not to interested....but I knew I this chick that almost died of ringworm and she never saw no freekin ring........:p

Fetch!

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Haven't seen the new one yet, but the Japanese version was really good, so I don't know if the Americanized version will compare. There are actually a couple sequals to the Japanese Ring as well that I'd like to see. I'll try to give a comparison once I see the new one.

7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    It doesn't have a "tacked on" ending like Signs did, does it?

I saw Jason X the other night (rental). It's about as bad as you think it is. Not too bad until the last ten minutes -- yet another tacked on ending.

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I saw the Japanese one when it came out a few years ago. I thought it was real good. Scared the crap out of me (and the rest of Japan). Ring 2 and Ring 0 were also pretty good. Haven't had the chance to see the American one yet. I hope they didn't make it stink.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    True, but at least it wasn't as bad as Jason Goes to Hell. That flick makes crap smell good.

10. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I remember seeing the Japanese ring... didn't really scare me but i really liked it :D

11. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I am not sure what you mean about tacked on ending since I haven't seen signs, but by the end of the Ring, pretty much nothing makes any sense anymore.

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    i've heard the ring was pretty good.. I want to go see it.. but i don't have the time yet

13. I see it saturday, you wouldn't believe it but it's with a date!!!!!

Any money she ends up never wanting to talk to me again

14. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    Scary movies are the best to take a date on. Especially when your date gets so scared she grabs your arm. I find that to be a real turn on.

15. I am usually the scared one unfourtunatley

16. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Well, it was good, up until the last five minutes. At that point, it seemed like the writer couldn't come up with a way to end this baby, so he smooshed something on the end and called it good. If I'd have walked out of Signs when I thought it was over, it would have been a pretty kick-ass movie. I just wondered if The Ring was like that -- where you see the ending and feel like you've been playing with yourself for almost an hour and just before you finish, your mom walks in on you.

17. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ah, what a lovely sentiment. That's Yeats, right?

18. something bad happended, date is postponed till next weekend

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I really can't say anything about the ending, except that it's great. Just- go see it. Postpone judgment until it's over.

Otherwise, holy POOP was that a freaky movie. I have never ever EVER closed my eyes during a movie. I can hang tough with the best of them. But I'll admit that I averted my eyes during one or two scenes. That's quite a feat to accomplish in my eyes. It's one of the best done horror flicks I've EVER seen. Definitely worth the money. Go see it NOW while there are still crowds. Or, go see it later when you are alone in the theater. Either way, it will mess you up sum' good.

20. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I just watched it today...it scared me a bit, not much, but a few parts were freaky. It was mostly just the suspense of waiting things to happen, though. Overall: Good movie, go watch it.