Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saw the Spin Doctors

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Superdave, May 30, 2004.

1. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    They were in St. Louis playing the Rib-Fest. They busted out some funky rock, I dug it alot. They are in the studio now recording a new album, I think. I'm going to have to check that out.

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    AAaaaaaayaahhh, gotta pocket fulla.... kryptoniiiite

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I'm very happy to hear that. I've been a big Spin Doctors fan for a long time. Mark White is a killer bass player, he has a wonderful slap style and a tasty groove. Also he's a fellow TB'er.

4. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    and he has the coolest stingray ive ever seen.

i saw them last year, actually it was exactly one year yesterday,i think.

5. Wolf

Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Israel
    I remember hearing a couple of years back that their vocalist busted his vocal chords, and could barely whisper. Glad to hear he's up & runnin' again!

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I'd like to see Mark White post some more, he's really cool

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Mark was playing some kind of Gibson when I last saw him. Looked kind of like an SG body style.

8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I haven't seen them since '91. I didn't realize they were back together. I do remember Mark White popping in here occasionally.

9. Well... i haven't seen the Spin Doctors recently, but I've seen Mark. He's a great player w/ amzing technique and a great groove.
    I believe he plays a heavily painted AKT bass, not a 'Ray. Bass sounds and looks 'Ray-like but I'm pretty sure its an Ibanez. Hes got a real tastey 3-fingered plucking slap style and does all the double thumping, thump-hammer-pluck stuff as well. I really like what hes done to "freshin" up all the spin doctors bass lines, percolating, busy, percussive.
    Whats cool is he's got a thick acrylic pickguard on the AKT that acts like a playing ramp and keeps him from diggin in too deep.
    I knew they were out playing gigs but they haven't made there way here. Glad they are at it again
    frank

10. cool.

I'm not a huge fan, but I am a fan of the Spin Doctors.