1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Saw the Wailers last night, NO FAMILY MAN BARRETT!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MuthaFunk, Feb 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I got to say, I was completely let down. I thought I was going to see a bass legend in the flesh! I bought 2nd row seats to get a good view and waited months for the show date to finally arrive.

To say I was disappointed is an understatement! It was noting more than a Bob Marley cover band.

How can they get away with touring as The Wailers without him??

2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    nothing worst could've happened. a true bummer! :( were there any original members ?

btmpancake likes this.
  3. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida

4. btmpancake

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    If I didn't stay through the entire show I would've asked about a refund,but I don't know the rules of refunding the day of the show.Maybe a case of fraud,decit,false advertising-even bait and switch......I'm mad for you also.

5. I left 1/2 hr into the show. I didn't think to ask for my money back. I'm inclined to think I wouldn't have gotten anywhere with that one... Who would I ask? The promoter is probably back stage and not going to fork over cash... The venue?

Anyway, I got ripped off. I gave my sweet seats to someone behind me on my way out. Looked like they were enjoying the show.

btmpancake likes this.
  6. btmpancake

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    You maybe right because the last show I went to was tickets and creditcards,a little xtra on walkups.It probably is a process to go though.Besides-how would we know if a popular bandmember not be there.If I were them I wouldn't have said anything either because they were the wailers w/o him-technically. I'm mad just thinking about it for you!

7. btmpancake

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    Verygood question.

8. Barrett is the only original member in todays line up... which means it is just a cover band performing Bob Marley tunes.

MDBass, Veldar, Okstatefan and 2 others like this.
  9. btmpancake

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    Thanks for the information.

pacojas likes this.
  10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    you would think with all these kids running around the Marley Compound they could at least add some descendants to the bands roster.
    a few years ago we opened up for "Black Uhuru". a month later we also opened up for a completely different band called "Black Uhuru". the first band featured Micheal Rose,.. the second band featured Duckie Simpson,.. lmao!
    :( it's kind of Buyer Beware.

11. btmpancake

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    Last I heard a while back bob's son was doing a few things.have'nt heard nothing recent about him,but I don't follow him either.

pacojas likes this.
  12. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

May 20, 2002
    Provided content for Genzler Amplification
    This is a growing issue. I remember seeing a news report a couple years back about groups performing as "The Drifters" or "The Four Tops". They often had no original members. In on instance, one of the original members confronted the cover band who quickly ran away. It's pretty prevalent since most people know the group name, but couldn't tell you the name of a single member (I know I can't in many instances).
    IMO, it's a practice that constitutes fraud, but unfortunately, in the convoluted and shady world of music, there's always the "Who Owns the Name" argument.

13. Kelly robinson

Kelly robinson

Dec 30, 2014
    It was always my understanding that " Black Uhuru " was based on Sly Dunbar and Robbie Shakespeare and a rotating group of singers including Micheal Rose so if neither Robbie or Sly were there - they really shouldn't be called " Black Uhuru " - By the way , saw them minus Rose in Boston in a fantastic double bill with King Sunny Ade - awesome show !

dinoadventures and pacojas like this.
  14. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    love King Sonny Ade! :)
    btw, the band that backed Micheal Rose that night was waaaay better than Duckie's band. i mean WAAAAY better ....

15. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    There are two bands touring now using the name, The Wailers, with Fams, and The Original Wailers, I think started by Junior Marvin, who incidentally I saw with the Family Man version about ten years ago and who played some of the coolest guitar I've ever heard in reggae, they gave him the room to stretch out on few songs.

Can you check to see which version was the one you saw, and under what name it was advertised? I'm very curious.

btmpancake likes this.
  16. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Actually Black Uhuru was originally called Uhuru and was a trio with Duckie Simpson at the center, who stayed on through their later incarnations.

They became Black Uhuru late '70s when they added Puma and aimed at the US college market and the new popularity of roots reggae in Europe and the US.

Sly and Robbie were involved with this third line-up, both in the studio and touring, and they hit it big. I saw them in Montreal then and I remember being blown away by Shakespeare's sound on his Steinberger, it was so clear and powerful. He did extended solo bits with Sly and they were as big as draws at the time as the singers or band was, as they played on seemingly everything at the time.

I actually saw Black Uhuru with Ducky back in the line-up a few years ago, it was very heavy roots music and he cut an incredible figure as s frontman, dancing non-stop and just being very dread indeed.

17. The Wailers | Events

The bass player was Family Mans kid Barrett Jr. I believe.

btmpancake likes this.
  18. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I saw "The Wailers" with Family Man a few years ago. It was okay, but nothing more than that. Now that I think about it, a lot of the reggae shows I've seen over the past couple of years (Burning Spear, Lee Perry, Sly & Robbie) have left me a little disappointed.

pacojas likes this.
  19. If you want to catch a great reggae show see John Browns Body or Easy Star All Stars.

Yaphet, jchrisk1 and bass12 like this.
  20. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    That wasn't at Metropolis in Montreal was it? I saw Black Uhuru with both Rose and Duckie in the line-up there around eighteen years ago.

pacojas likes this.