Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saw U2 last night...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by oddentity, Jun 13, 2001.

1. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Last night, I saw U2 at the First Union Center in Philly.

I had high expectations, and I'm happy to say that they exceeded them. I was totally blown away by how much heart and soul the band put into every single note, of every song. You could see it by the way they carried themselves onstage, by the way they interacted with each other, and on the four large monitors which showed the band members' faces.

Their set was a well-balanced mix of old and new, though I was a little disappointed they didn't play anything off of POP (a highly underrated album, imo). They made their old standards like "Where the Streets Have No Name" and "I Will Follow" seem as fresh as ever.

In short - it was AWESOME. By far the best concert I have seen in a long time...

2. Dude you totally suck! :p i wanted tickets but by the time i learned they were playing even NEAR my state(i live in wee rhode island) the tickets were sold out :(

Btw Who open for them? i heared it was coldplay

3. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I struck out with Ticketmaster too, but as it happens, I know someone who works in the security dept. at the First Union Center, and she got tickets for me and my girlfriend -- box seats and VIP parking! :D It was expensive but totally worth it!!!

We had PJ Harvey. She was really good...

4. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Did anybody else see that article where during a recent show they removed all the ugly people from the front rows and replaced them with babes and stud bunnies for the HBO taping? What I want to know oddentiy, is how you felt just marching up there and taking some fat dude's spot who had waited up all night for tickets.

5. ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

6. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    :D Heh heh ... but I wasn't in the front row! There were plenty of fat dudes in my row ;)

Where was the article? I'd like to read it...

7. Yup, I agree that you suck! :p

I ran into the exact same problem....I hovered around the Ticketmaster site just waiting for the U2 ticks to go on sale, and Whooosh! they were gone for every state within a 1,000 freakin miles of here (Washington)!!! I was even willing to consider flying down to Arizona for a weekend to see them there...but they had sold out there as well...

Now, where the hell are the "Live at Red Rocks" and "Zoo TV: Live at Sydney" DVDs, dammit!?

8. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Thanks for the review Oddentity - I can't wait to see them for myself in August. Apparently, the tickets sold out for the entire country (England) in about half an hour. I'm just glad that we were able to get some. It would have been nice to have been in the front row, but they were all gone.

(Incidentally, I thought it was strange that we had to send them a photo before they told us were we could sit... :(;))

9. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Well, I saw them last night, and they were pretty good. One thing I will say is that Bono definitely knows how to put on a show - he was running around that heart shaped ramp all night. I've got to say that the bastard in me wanted him to trip and fall into the crowd! ;)

10. i see this whole tour as U2 preventing me from getting PJ Harvey tickets. :mad:

-dance, not a fan of U2

11. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
  12. yeah, but guess where i'll be then? four hours away at college. oh well.

13. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Where do you go to school? Maybe she's playing somewhere nearby. Did you check the pollstar schedule?

It looks like there are open windows for more dates to be added...

14. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    PJ Harvey only supported U2 at a handful of dates, didn't she? They've had a fair few support acts since - Coldplay, Stereophonics, Nelly Futardo, and last night was Kellis, of "I HATE YOU SO MUCH RIGHT NOW!!" fame.

15. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    She did a good deal of the US tour. I heard she had gotten sick at one point and had to have Nelly Furtado fill in for a few shows, but I don't know if that's true or not.

16. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Damn! Lucky, lucky!

Old school U2 = my second fav band of all time.

I so wanted to see them live, but like yawnsie said tickets sold out here in half an hour.

17. arrrrr... looks like DC will be as close as peej gets to me. someday...

18. I saw PJ Harvey in january and she was great!