1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Saw Velvet Revolver w/ Alice In Chains tonight @ Mansfield,MA

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Killibinizik, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Killibinizik

Killibinizik

Aug 17, 2006
    Both bands were amazing. The new singer for AiC William Duvall was EXCELLENT and does Layne Staley justice, he wasn't perfect mind you (that's an unreasonable expectation) but man i was floored with how many notes he hit and was spot on with. Of course the rest of the band was excellent as usual. Hearing Mike Inez was sometimes an issue because his deep tone synced with the pounding beats of Sean Kinney, but he still came through when it mattered in parts like Would and Rooster. Also he just flat out rumbled through the ampitheater. Jerry Cantrell of course was the driving sound of the band though.

VR was amazing as well, with Slash flexing his lead muscle without it ever getting overbearing. Also I just have to say Duff's tone was SICK. His playing CUT through those guitars, and the intro groove for Sucker Train Blues was choice: bright, clear, and deep. On the whole though it was a treat for a bassist like me to hear his grinding, growling tone cut through the wall of sound so consistently.

Anyways I'll put up each of their set lists from the show.

AIC
    • Again
    • Grind
    • We Die Young
    • Them Bones
    • Down In A Hole
    • Rain When I Die
    • Junkhead
    • Angry Chair
    • Man In The Box
    • Would
    • Rooster

VR
    • Let It Roll
    • She Mine
    • Sucker Train Blues
    • Do It For The Kids
    • Superhuman
    • Big Machine
    • Vasoline (STP)
    • Last Fight
    • Interstate Love Song (STP, a suprise for me)
    • Patcience (GNR)
    • Grave Dancer
    • Just Sixteen
    • She Builds Quick Machines
    • It's So Easy (GNR)
    • Get Out The Door
    • Fall To Pieces
    • Set Me Free
    • Mr.Brownstone (GNR)
    • Sex Type Thing (STP)
    • Slither

Any TB'ers here seeing them on tour? Also this thread can serve as a general discussion for Duff and Inez (whom I think is criminally underrated).

2. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Will be seeing them Sept 7th in Vancouver. Can't wait. Although I am more in AIC than VR. Glad to see a bunch of GNR and STP stuff thrown in the mix.

Later
    Rob

3. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    3 or 4 years ago, I saw Jerry Cantrell on tour. The opening acts were Goneblind and Comes With the Fall. During Jerrys set, for a few songs, the singer of Comes With the Fall, William Duvall, would join him on stage, and sing Alice songs. I guess that's how he got the gig with Alice now. But at the time, I wasn't too impressed. He wasn't a bad singer, but it was a far cry from Layne. Like I said, this was a few years ago, and I'm sure he's gotten better since then, but at the time, it wasn't great. IMO.

4. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    Duff's tone is hard to beat IMO, while his playing might not be so technical his riffs are perfect for the music he plays, at least he's not repeating the same 3 notes in 8th notes the whole time. He plays well and solid and when GNR were at their peak it was a nice change to see some actual bass playing compared to what the other bands at their time were playing.

5. August 27th :D:hyper: :D

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Oh, please... :rolleyes:

7. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    NICE! I'd love to see AIC. I tried to see em back in 95, but of course, Layne had to go to rehab so they were replaced with Fight (Rob Halford's old band).

8. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    i wish i couldve seen layne sing nutshell live....their unplugged in ny is one of my all time fav's.