Saw Victor wooten's soul circus show last night (7/9/05)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Q-Phonix, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Q-Phonix

Sep 28, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I saw the St. Petersburg, FL. show last night, and it was mind blowing. I have seen victor about 5 times in the past 10 years, and each time has been a life changing experience. Last nights show was originally booked for an outdoor venue, but do to hurricane Dennis it was moved to an indoor venue.
    First impressions, victor Wooten's technique has improved so much since the last I have seen him (If you can believe that!). All the super fast slap licks he does sound cleaner than I have ever heard them. His backing band is awesome. He has a Keyboard player, back up singer, kick a$$ drummer, bass player that backs him up when he is soloing, his brother Regi on guitar, and a female rapper who plays bass and raps at the same time. The cool thing about show that I have never seen any band do before is that he gave each band member a 10-minute solo section. In that section they were allow to do what ever they wanted. It was like five concerts in one. If you get chance to see this tour definitely go check it out.
  2. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    I hear Victor pretty much always puts on an amazing show. I have yet to go see him though.
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Cool. Hope Dennis doesn't adversely affect you. Be safe.
  4. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    That chick bass player that raps...her name is Divinity. She's one of my fav. players, but her rappin aint all that great IMO. How'd you like Regi on guitar? He's got one of the weirdest strumming styles I've ever seen, along with the fuzzy hair ties he uses like capos....yeah he's a strange one. Great player though. I definitely want to go see Victor and Co. live someday, I'm sure I'll be blown away. :)
  5. Q-Phonix

Sep 28, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Oh, I also forgot to mention that Steve Baily was a special
    guest performer. He played with the band the whole night and also got his own solo section. Also victor did some new things I have never seen him do before. He played one Indian style tune with a fretless Steinberger bass. The coolest part of the
    concert was when he broke out a new Black Fodera bass. The
    bass had SIMMs fret lights installed that brighten according to how hard he played the strings. They turned the lights out in the theatre and he played a solo and the lights would increase just like mixing board monitor.

When I left the concert I forgot there was hurricane going on out side with 45 mph winds. My heart goes out to any TBers living in mobile, AL. or the panhandle of Florida. Hope everybody has evacuated and stays safe.
  6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    regi is a monsta... along with MC Divinity, both amazing! They'll be here in ATL next weekend...
  7. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Yeah, I can't wait! Watch out for the Israeli in the "Got Bass?" shirt. ;)
  8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    ... or dutch/indian in that shirt :smug: , that is if I don't gig tht evening.