Saw Watt last night

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dave Siff, May 1, 2002.

1. He's absent from his forum right now, 'cause he's out on tour! Anyway, I caught him here last night, for the 7th or 8th time, and this might have been the best one yet. It's a trio as always, but this time he's got a keyboard player instead of a guitarist. It was just as cool. The thing with Watt is, his playing is so vital and essential to what's going on that any other combination of instruments playing along with him will work.
    He was just manic last night.. completely in control, but bursting at the seams. He went off a couple of times, and I mean he really went for it. It was freakin' amazing. The best part of the whole show was this moment where it just struck me why this guy is my touchstone for bass playing; he may not have a ton of technique, but he plays every note with reckless abandon, total commitment and killer tone, and he is clearly in command all the time.
    If Watt comes to your town, don't ask questions.. GO! They started the tour April 15 and they are going straight through June 5 without a day off!
  2. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Thanks for the heads up.

I definately will go to see any of our TB members play, even the celebs. ;)
  3. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I'll be at his show in Philly next week, and maybe DC too if I can swing it.
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I can't swing seeing him this time out :(

but for those who haven't seen him I'll second the "Don't ask questions, Just Go!"

after hearing the "Ragin Full on" album from fIREHOSE in the mid-late 80's I was CHANGED

I've never heard anyone else that can play the s**t out of a bass like Mr. Watt :cool:
  5. saw him the 16th here in Abq. and as always he was amazing if a bit subdued. and you are right.. every note like it's his last..a great guy to boot...
  6. He's gonna be here on the 24th. Looking forward to it.