saw YES/ Dream Theatre

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sargebaker, Aug 18, 2004.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    WOW, OVERALL WOW! Dream Theatre was disapointing. They didnt play anythign off Awake (in fact they didn't play nay songs i really knew) and I still despise their singer. Myungs tone was crap (what's new?) there was no bass solo, and in fact you couldn't really hear him. Yes on the other hand was INSANE. Squire has amazing tone, cuts through and literally made the stadium shake. thy played a whole bunch of instruments, geetar, lap geetar, portugeese geetar, harp, a bunch of percussion. and they did a huge acoustic set w/ a bluesy version of roundabout, but they didn't play heart of the sunrise or the Fish :crying: which is really my only complaint. Wow those guys can really put on a show and they are all old enough to be my grandpa! They did little skits and made funnies too :p Like they brought out a grand piano during the acoustic set and at the end they dragged Rick off stage while he was still playing and Jon was like we're having a raffle after, whoever wins gets the piano and Rick. I've never seen anyone change basses so much as Squire, up to twice per song!!!! he had a triple neck bass too but I was sitting kind of far and save the Ricks I couldn'T make any out. They had the crazy blow up stuff on stage and all too. WOW! Just an amazing show and I never knew Howe was so talented (in fact before tonight I never liked him much..... :bag: ) Great show.

Oh yeah at the end of 1 song Dream Theatre played the intro to Xanadu which got me excited but Portnoy and John sorta just butchered it then they played somehtign else..... Good thing I,ll be seeing the REAL Rush on Saturday :hyper:

Sorry if there are alot of typos, I just got home, and am pretty beat and now I'm off to bed.

2. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Sadly, Yes is coming nowhere near me (as far as I know) this tour. Hopefully next time (pretty sure there'll be a next time, seems like those guys are constantly on the road these days.)

Dream Theater... I have a couple of their albums, but I'm not really big on the prog-metal thing. Just classic prog for me. ;)

Hope you enjoy the Rush show, I know I did. They tore it up big time. Alex is freaking hilarious.
  3. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Lucky you man, I'd kill for Dream Theater to come to Saskatchewan. And Yes isn't bad either ;).
  4. My friends were at that show. But more importantly, I'm at Rush tomorrow night! Ahem... anyways, they said it was a pretty good show, although they told me Dream Theater was quite good. I would have gone but, you know, Rush. :D
  5. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    What seats you got? I'm 103 E or Fi think, I had to pay like 100 somehtign for them cause my bro slacked off and didt get tickets soon enough and they were sold out so we had to buy em from a "ticket broaker" :p Maybe I,ll see you there, drop by my row on intermission and just yell Dill or something :p

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, you montrealian canuckistanis certainly have an awesome week for concerts. i'm totally jealous. :spit: :hyper: :cool:
  7. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I know, there usually isnt this much good bands but this week has been great! Deep purple and thin lizzy were here too but we didnt go :p it's been a good summer, primus, dream theatre, yes and rush :hyper: :cool:
  8. Hey Keb I saw Yes at The Backyard just outside of Austin (technically inside of Austin but it's out off of 71 on the way out to west Lake Travis)2 years ago - like fine wine they get better with time - and they might be back that way soon! Got backstage passes, and hung out and hob-nobbed with Steve, Chris, and Rick. Jon was there but I was not able to meet him. A true lifetime moment - keep on the lookout - you could make a show like that and get home to Houston the next day!
  9. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Very cool to hear. I will be seeing them August 27th at the PNC in Holmdel, NJ. Do you remember any other songs they play? (I heard they play Mind Drive split into two parts). :bassist:
  10. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    mood for a day, long distance runaround, roundabaout, I've seen all good people, mind drvie (split), owner of a lonely heart, I'm prettty sure they played no disgrace, I cant rmemeber everythign lol, My ears are still buzzing from Rush. WOW what an intense show, best show I ever saw.
    EDIT: they played and you and I too. Should I go see Jethro Tull? (their keyboardist got a sex change :rolleyes: )
  11. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Here is a photo of the tripple neck from his web site:

and the info from it:
    Top neck: 6 string (3 x octave strings) AADDGG
    Middle Neck: 4 string EADG Fretted
    Bottom Neck: 4 string EADG Fretless

I really like the look of the angle mounted and rounded P-Type pickups on the lower 2 necls too!!!!

Hmmm... It's a 14 string bass, but Jaco only needed heroin...
  12. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    It's crazy how that tripleneck doesn't seem to faze Chris with its bulk. He's such a huge guy. It's kinda funny seeing old pics of Geddy Lee looking all skinny with his Rick and then to see a pic of Chris with his, and it practically looks like a pin on his shirt (or cape as the case may be.) ;)
  13. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    That show will be here in Denver on the 10th of September - and of course I'll be in Minnesota.. :mad: