Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

saw YES last night...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Acacia, Jul 26, 2000.

1. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    as much of a fan that I am, we left early. we were soaking wet and it was kind of cold for july (65 degrees)..raining like hell out there...yes was playing some off the wall songs though like soon and gates of delirium and something from tale from topographic...they actually kinda bored me this time. whereas 2 years ago i was in awe of them.

2. DaveTomasi

DaveTomasi Gold Supporting Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Acacia,

I am curious.
    Which Yes line up did you see last night?

3. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Jon Anderson
    Steve Howe
    Chris Squire
    Alan White
    Igor (keyboards)

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    btw, just thought i'd mention that soon is part of gates of delirium, the last section. [​IMG] they cut it apart when the album came out because atlantic thought they needed a single, so they took the last 1/3 of gates and made a single out of it, called soon.

this yes tour is called the Masterworks tour - they are playing many of their longer, epic pieces from the 70's. no owner of a lonely heart. thank god.

------------------
    you wanna see a frustrated guitarist? let a guitarist try to do something useful on one of my basses. _THAT'S_ a frustrated guitarist.

5. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    I was gonna see em here in Cincy on the 12th, but they cancelled. Said Jon was sick. Did Kansas open? If so, was it the original lineup?

------------------
    Paul

6. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    kansas was incredible. i was very unfamiliar with songs that weren't hits, but they reminded me of "Bent out of shape" era Rainbow a little. All original line-up except for the bassists.

and when i saw them 2 years ago, they didn't play owner of a lonely heart. yeah, it's a pop song, but it's a good pop song. and it was their only #1 song ever. but oh well. I have it live on a fwe vids.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    personally, i'm glad they had "owner of a lonely heart" - they deserved some critical acclaim and record sales. alot of people got into yes because of that song.

i'm just glad they aren't playing owner anymore, i'm just getting a bit sick of it. when i saw them 2 years ago, for "open your eyes" they played it, along with an abridged version of rhythm of love - another great yes song [​IMG]

------------------
    you wanna see a frustrated guitarist? let a guitarist try to do something useful on one of my basses. _THAT'S_ a frustrated guitarist.

8. mr2112

mr2112

Mar 31, 2000
    I saw them on this current tour!

All I know is.......When Chris used the Ric.....the place RUMBLED, even more than any of the other basses he used, even my girl noticed it, and she knows NOTHING about music...trust me!! [​IMG]

Note::: I did see them in a "theater" type of venue....

------------------
    "Everybody got mixed feelings...About the function and the form----
    Everybody got to 'elevate', from the norm." ----N.Peart

---Later, MR

9. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Hey, at least you got to see them. They have'nt come thru here in years. I'm jealous!

Acacia, did you still want that Eleventh Hour T-shirt? They are doing a show on Saturday in Niagara Falls and I'm heading up there with my drummer. Let me know and I'll pick one up for you.

10. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Doug, get one if they're not over $16...T shirt prices are ridiuclous. I know bands use this to help support themselves on the road, but damn! If they have a white one, that's preferred, if not, I'll take what they have.

You rule, thanx for remembering me.

11. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    No problem, I'll let you know on Monday morning how I make out.

Don't worry, I wasn't going to spend a ton of money on a shirt. I need my beer money you know. [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I saw them a week ago (7/23). The "Tales" song they played was "Ritual" (although Steve and Jon did an excerpt from "The Ancient"), which has some great bass runs in it. Chris Squire was very good and played only his Ric 4001. He usually makes at least one noticable mistake at each show I've seen, but no major mistakes (that I noticed) on this night. Igor, on the other hand was really sloppy and even Steve made a (rare) mistake. Kansas opened and was very tight with Steve Walsh in suprisingly good voice.

I was really happy to be able to hear Yes play Ritual and Gates of Delerium, but it certainly would have been nice to have them play something written after 1975. "Mind Drive", "That, That Is", or "Homeworld" would all have been welcome over a number of the standard tunes they play on every tour (roundabout, all good people, starship trooper).

13. mr2112

mr2112

Mar 31, 2000
    Saint.....He played the Ric for the whole show?? DRATZ!! I missed it!!

------------------
    "Everybody got mixed feelings...About the function and the form----
    Everybody got to 'elevate', from the norm." ----N.Peart

---Later, MR

14. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    he played a white rick for the half show here.

15. ross

ross Guest

Mar 17, 2000
    i to this day am jealous of my mom who seen yes in the 70's.i wish yes would come back to binghamton arena that would be pretty cool

------------------
    save the trees ban john turner conklins

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I saw Yes in 1974 when Chris Squire only had Rickenbackers and the bass certainly rumbled then - awesome sound. To hear the comments on the current tour, it sounds exactly almost the same - can't believe it's over 25 years ago!

17. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    if i could choose any tour to have seen them on, it would be Drama.