Saw you with the "Jazz Knights " at West Point

Discussion in 'Ask Lynn Seaton' started by Stan Haskins, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Stan Haskins

Stan Haskins

Nov 17, 2005
    NY and Miami
    Hi Lynn -

I enjoyed sitting in on your rehearsal with the Jazz Knights at West Point. I loved the music. (By the way, I just wrote a blog entry about it here)

I wonder if you could talk a little about two things:

How did you develop such a clear, smooth arco sound on the lower strings in high positions? I know you mentioned that the bass is set up for it, but I think your technique has alot to do with it, too

Could you talk a little bit about how you approach "leading" a big band from the bass chair?

Thanks for any comments you care to make.

2. Lynn Seaton

Lynn Seaton Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Denton, TX
    Thank you for the kind words. I owe most of my ability to the techniques of Francois Rabbath. His method allowed me to learn to play across all strings in all registers. Concerning leading a big band from the bass chair, I have not really done that. I do go in front of the band to rehearse certain sections and look at the score. I do give visual cues to the director and the band when they play my feature charts. All the big bands I have played with have had a director.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2021