1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sawing a refrigerator into pieces?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by zenrad, Nov 20, 2010.

1. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    Here's a question for y'all - has anyone ever taken a reciprocal saw to a refrigerator?

I have an old fridge in my basement and someone asked what if I cut it into thirds and carted it out by hand rather than renting an appliance hand truck and finding a couple of guys to help me. :meh:

I think it would be too unsafe (not to mention the freon being released) and would rather just haul it upstairs, but has anyone ever cut one up?

2. When my old roommate and I first started brewing beer, we tried to convert a minifridge into a keg tapping system, but it got messy when we tried to drill into it. I'd just roll up my sleeves and haul it out in one piece.

3. Oh,and the freon release is illegal.

4. it's going to get really messy when you get into the insulation sandwiched between the metal....and the freon thing.....

5. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    I've never done this but I think it's a great idea. Save yourself some money, besides cutting stuff to pieces is fun.

Just take all of the refrigerant components off carefully before cutting to keep those environmentalist folks happy.

6. drteeth

drteeth

Apr 1, 2008
    Leuven, Belgium
    Be sure to check back in when it all went very wrong.

7. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    They have that cable show where the dude cuts up all different kinds of things to see how it works. I'm sure he's done a fridge. You could turn it into a bass cab, after all with all of the TB'ers on this site I'm sure they'd be happy to help you , just post the pics of this thing either way.......:cool:

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Subscribed just for the potential epic fail about to happen. Oh and we demand pics.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Ditch your pussy friends. :D

-Mike

10. ^^ this

Epic-fail-guy-dance.

Waiting

11. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    If a saw is used, please wear safety goggles & hearing protection and do a finger count after each cut.

12. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    appliance dolly might be one of the best uses of $50 i've spent--i wouldnt' rent, i'd buy one and keep it around...i hauled 3 900lb oak trunk sections from my neighbor's yard last weekend with mine to split next year for firewood...they are handy devices

13. Bett

Bett

Jan 27, 2008
    CT
    When our old fridge finally died after nearly 20 years of use, my dad took his 30 caliber rifle to it, and let my brother have some target practice too, so he could throw it out as scrap instead of having to pay the appliance disposal fee at the dump.
    If you want to move it easier and not pay disposal fees, go ahead and hack it to pieces, but it's gonna make a mess.
    Or, you could post it on craigslist or in the newspaper for free and see if someone else wants it first. Then they'll get rid of it for you and you won't have a bunch of refrigerator fluff all over the place. If it's older than 1970, there might be someone out there looking for it to refurbish.
    If you do end up cutting it up, then like someone said earlier, take the compressor and the other parts out and only cut up the box itself.
    And yeah, hand trucks are really worth the money. You can probably find them used for cheap or get a decent one one from a tool store.

14. kful

kful

Apr 25, 2009
    Garden Grove, CA
  15. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    This one is going to be brought upstairs normally, but I was curious to see if anyone ever cut one up. I can't imagine how one could safely handle the resulting pieces of appliance with razor sharp sheet metal all over the place. One slip and something is either going to bleed or go missing :eek:

I wish I could use it for target practice, but I live in NJ where you can't even use a bow and arrow in your back yard.

16. Hi.

Wise choice.

If it doesn't cool anymore, the Freon is long gone by now. Since Freon propelled about a million BB guns in US only a few decades ago, I wouldn't worry about a few hundred grams anyway.

Sawing sandwich structures is a major PITA, and doing that would've been very, very messy and practically impossible to clean up.

Regards
    Sam

17. dude.....a regular hand truck with two guys should be lots.....remove the doors and racks,and tie it to the dolly......leave the door off and set it at the end of your driveway..... a scavenger will remove it within an hour

18. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    So every other guy in the US has a pickup or truck, but moving a fridge is too much to ask for?

:p

19. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Rent or buy a hand truck, get a couple of friends and a 12 pack. Remove the door and the racks and tie everyhting down good before you move it. Unless you lot weigh 90# each moving a fridge should be a piece of cake.

Oh and please don't take it to the shooting range. Many ranges have been shutdown because the shooters leave all sorts of stuff on the land.

20. Bett

Bett

Jan 27, 2008
    CT
    That's why you move to a rural town and shoot it in your backyard, or make a mini shooting range for 22s in the basement. :smug: