1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sax and double bass duet recordings

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by 1987, Sep 21, 2010.

1. 1987

Jun 17, 2006
    Hi all,

I'm looking for some duet recordings of sax and double bass. I'm sure there are hundreds out there, though I'm only really familiar with Joe Henderson and Christian McBride's version of Isfahan. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

2. Here's four albums:
    Warne Marsh and Red Mitchell - Big Two Volume 1 and Volume 2
    Archie Shepp and Richard Davis - Body and Soul
    Lee Konitz and Hein Van De Geyn - Meeting Again

3. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    Lee Konitz & Red Mitchell - I concentrate on you. One of the most beautiful albums of all time, all Cole Porter tunes.

4. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    and if you're interested in free stuff as well as straighter jazz, my favourite is probably Steve Lacy and Maarten Altena - 'High, Low ad Order'. Also, Evan Parker has duo records with Barry Guy and Ingebrigt Haker Flaten, and Paul Dunmall has made several duo recording with Paul Rogers.
    Ken Vandermark's 'Collected Fiction' is duos with 4 different bassists.
    And theres a couple of Charlie Haden albums with duets with different people, 'Soapsuds, Soapsuds' with Orette is really great.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Miroslav Vitous and Jan Garbarek - ATMOS

oh and Charlie "revisiting" his duets record with another duets record, CLOSENESS

6. Not sax but bass clarinet, but you might want to check out Eric Dolphy and Richard Davis doing Come Sunday, on Dolphy's Iron Man.

Actually, here it is.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021