Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sax & slow jazz

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by matiya, Oct 15, 2005.

1. I'm currently looking for some great saxophone-oriented songs for my band (piano, lovely female singer, sax, e-bass, drums). I'm specifically interested in simple, slow, kinda-ambiental jazzy songs, which depend greatly on voice and sax. Any recommendations would be nice, thank you in advance.

2. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    See if you can get a hold of some of the CDs of Billy Holliday with Lester Young. They had chemistry and the more spare the instrumentation the better. Not that your singer has to sing like Billy (Frankly, I've never been a fan) but the songs she did with Prez may be some of the best in that style. CDs should be easy to find and you can take your pick from a number of songs.

Ella Fitzgerald made some recordings with with Stan Getz in the 60's I think. They had the magic too, though their stuff is harder to find. Possibly on some collections (they did a great job on "You're Blase" but I don't have the source handy) You might be able to check some out from the library. And Getz made a great one with Abbey Lincoln called You Gotta Pay the Band.

John

3. Thank you very much, I checked some of Getz's songs, they're great.. I also found Silje Nergaard and I think she's great, too (On and on; Be still my heart - two great songs).
    Even thought I'm not a big fan of Billy Holliday, I'll look into it..
    Once again, thanks a lot!