1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Saxing ain’t easy...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jbl71004, May 23, 2020.

1. jbl71004

jbl71004 Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Charleston, WV
    Not something I normally do, but decided to learn a sax part, this from the head of Chris Potter’s “Rumples”. Initial inclination was to post once I have it all down cleanly, but I’m struggling with the last handful of bars, especially the very end where he throws in some clever displacement. Anyway, any suggestions on improving my technique and/or ways to approach getting tough sections down would be appreciated and then some. I’ve gotten to a place where I don’t focus in as much on what I’m doing in the moment, so I’m sure there are ways I can play more efficiently. Thanks in advance for any constructive criticism.

Rumples

2. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    I think where you are now is where we all want to be, i.e. play by feel, not by rote. Being more efficiently perhaps lies with studying what others did before back in the day. So those things are in your gig bag.

Time to study songs.

You know that will take the rest of your live.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    jbl71004 likes this.
  3. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I have been playing sax improv parts for two years and it has been a difficult, but rewarding challenge.

You are no longer in Kansas anymore. If you choose to swallow the white pill, you will need to learn new fingering patterns and learn how to shift fluidly as well as play much faster than the average bassist.

Above all, dont get discouraged.

jbl71004 likes this.
  4. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I am sorry I cant listen to your download over the weekend as I am out of phone data.

jbl71004 likes this.
  5. Paul New

Paul New Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    Wow, talk about starting at the top! Very few sax players can play that transcription. I have no suggestions, but I hope you will record it for us when you get it.

Adi gets close, but she’s doing Potter’s solo.

Last edited: May 29, 2020 at 4:41 PM
    jbl71004 likes this.