Saxophone question????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Hey guys I need some help..... I was curious what the most commonly used saxophone key is. I see some buying options for Bflat, etc. I'm not sure what the best beginners choice is. thanks for your help
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Tenor - Bb
    Alto - Eb
    Baritone - Bb

Soprano...? I think Bb as well.
  3. Generally an alto sax is in the key of Eb. That is, if you play a note, you have to tranpose it down a minor 3rd to get the actual concert pitch of it.

Edit: Beaten by a second.
  4. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    thanks so much for your help!!!!
  5. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005

For all wind instruments the 'key' that they are in means this: If you play a C on that instrument, it will play their 'key note' in piano (concert) pitch.

For instance. If you ask an Alto Saxophonist to play their "C" you will need to play an Eb on the piano to match the pitch. If you ask a French horn player for their 'C' you will need to play an 'F' on piano (standard pitch for French horn is F). There are also G flutes, D trumpets, and Ab trumpets.... and other transposing instruments.
  6. vick

Jan 9, 2006
    Dallas, Tx
    If your question was what type of saxophone to buy, I would recommend you to buy an alto in the key of e-flat. They are the most common and cheapest and the easiest to get started on. As for saxes, depending on your price range, the Yamaha YAS23 and the Selmer Bundy II are wonderful starting saxes, especially if you can find one used. Stay away from those colorful ebay saxes that are $100 or $199 or something like that, they are made in china crap that will only make beginning saxophone arduous and could even turn you off saxophone. As a long time sax player myself, I can tell you that you about to enter an amazing and enlightening world. For all the information you could ever use, go to