say a prayer for new orleans

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    hang in there guys...i wish you my best.
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    6 feet below sea level and 30 foot expected storm surge doesn't sound like a winning combination to me.

All four lanes of I55 are going northbound in an effort to exacuate the city's 600 thousand residents.
  3. My ex-girlfriends grandma is stuck in Slidell, a suburb of New Orleans. Shes probaly not gonna make it. My ex called me tonight crying . This Hurricane blows.
  4. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    My thoughts are with those affected by this storm.

5. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i'm very sorry to hear that.

i have family down there and they are trying so hard to get out. nature can be so unfair sometimes.

i hope the city itself can survive this catastrophe.
  6. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Best wishes to anyone out there.
  7. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Though I'm agnostic, I'll pray to the powers that may be that it's not as bad as it can be.... and if there's anyone in the L.A. area that needs like a place to crash or anything, I've got my place, though it'd be a haul for ya. Before, or afterwards, my door is open.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    That's rough. I saw some news footage of people on the freeways trying to get out of town. It looked insane. I hope no one is injured on their way out.

We need a roll call sometime Monday morning to make sure all the TB'ers down that way are safe.

9. A whole busload of people died in a crash as they were evacuating to a church in Baton Rouge. I think there was a pregnant woman on board. The details may be wrong, but I only caught a little bit of the report on the tube.
  10. My town is packed full of Gulf Coast and L.A. refugees.
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    My goodness, that is horrible. I certainly hope you are wrong. :eek:

12. Good luck to all TB'ers and their loved ones. I hope everyone makes it.
  13. Me too...
  14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    While I am really sorry for the people who have to go through all this, you can't blame nature for this. Building a city below sea level is a catastrophy waiting to happen.
  15. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    best wishes! hope everyone be ok.
  16. The city wasn't built below sea level, it sank below sea level.
  17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I grew up in Slidell, depending on where in town she is, she will quite likely be pretty safe. Compared to New Orleans, Slidell is the MOUNTAINS, average height above sea leve in Slidell is aobut 6'. As long as she's a good way north of Lake Pontchatrain, flooding won't be a major issue, just wind damage.

I still would NOT want to be there. My father is here in NC with me, my sister & her family are in Tallahassee, FL. I know mike v s, who also lives in Slidell got out as well.

Frank, New Orleans was not built below sea level, as has been pointed out. I agree that there has been a major lack of planning that allowed a city of that size to be this vulnerable though.
  18. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    That's gonna be a disaster.

I can't imagine what conditions are like in the stadium: news reports say its mostly "the poor" who have failed to evacuate the city, lacking transportation and places to go. In addition, i reckon that, like here in Tampa, most of the city's mentally ill, developmentally disabled, and medically fragile population who lack $$$ or caring supports are huddled in that stadium as well. Thousands of them.

The Saints have fled, and i hear some whispers that the owner may just use this as an out from their contract w/ the city of New Orleans; they're thinking L.A. or San Antonio as alternative hosts.

A large % of our nation's oil refineries are nearby and are being shut down; coupled with a $4 increase in price-per-barrel, this is going to hurt us all.
  19. My thoughts exactly. The wife and I gassed up last night, for what it's worth. We'll all be hit by these gas prices at some point, unless you never plan to drive again.
    We vacationed in New Orleans one year and I didn't quite get what the tour guide said about 'being below sea level'. Thanks to a weather channel illustration, I get it.... OMG.
  20. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    I'm an eternal optimist, and i have to say that i hope we'll see the single good side of this: people, when their neighbors are faced with tragedy, can be incredibly giving. The volunteer efforts in Fl. over the last year have been incredible, and i hope that all the kind folks in and around the distressed area will support one another.