Say Hello To my Leetle Fren........

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FL Knifemaker, Jul 16, 2008.

1. For the past week, during the afternoon thunderstorms, this little guy was coming in my shop.......under the garage door :rolleyes: I didn't mind when he sat there until the storm was over and left. Yesterday he was being a pain in the ARSE, snapping at me, my dogs and crawling all over the shop. I had to step in and take control :p Sorry for not cleaning my trash can for the pics. He's only about 10" long so the dogs didn't take him seriously :rollno:

I relocated him far, FAR away, out in the woods :) I don't mind snakes but not this kind, crawling around near my ankles :ninja:

2. Rat snake?

3. Cor! It's a Beautie!

4. jobu3

jobu3 ¿Huevos?! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Venomous?

5. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    "Snakes on a Thread" !

6. As opposed to crawling around your... neck...?

7. I THOUGHT it was a baby Pygmy rattler as they are very common around here. The pest control people would SWEAR it's a Pygmy :eyebrow: I'm now pretty sure it's some kind of Racer. I thought I was being brave and daring :meh:

8. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    Snakes on strings?

9. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I'd be as concerned about those stringy drill chips on the floor.:D:bag:

10. Based on the head shape, it's definitely not a viper - so definitely not a rattler.

11. Those are nice, expensive titanium drill chips!! :)

12. You were being "brave and daring". (Let me rephrase, as someone that has been bitten by a poisonous snake: crazy/stupid ;) )

Let me introduce you to your "little friend", also known as Sistrurus miliarius barbouri, or the dusky pygmy rattlesnake.

[​IMG]

I hope you are more careful in handling the next one of these you see....

;)

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Snakes???? "Why does it have to be snakes?"

14. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Hijack alert: Nice, what were you making in titanium?

15. While the pattern is close, I still don't buy it. I also think Knifemaker's is a racer. Look at the face of the snake, it is not a viper. Check out the head diagram in this link: http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology/fl-guide/Sistrurusmbarbouri.htm

Now check out the head on this racer: http://www.southalley.com/album_racers.html

16. ...and this pic of a juvenile black racer seals it. They lose the markings when the mature. The head and markings are identical to FLKnifemaker's although this guys a little younger:

snake037.jpg

17. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    If a snake crawls up in my garage, I will waste no time introducing him to Mr. Remington.

18. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    [​IMG]

19. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    Like in "Photoshop contest site" ? :p

20. Yes,

One of the snake experts on our knife and gun forum called it immediatley. They're close.

Mr. Gard.........

I just did my best to get it into the trash can and off to the woods. I wasn't playing snake charmer with the darn thing :) The first two encounters he took off. Trust me, I was handling it as if it was a Pigmy!! I can't afford to be out of commision with a snakebite!! Snakes in my yard/shop are not something new. A few years ago, we had a coral snake in my Florida room. That one met it's doom :(

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022