1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Say Hello To my Leetle Fren........

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FL Knifemaker, Jul 16, 2008.

1. For the past week, during the afternoon thunderstorms, this little guy was coming in my shop.......under the garage door :rolleyes: I didn't mind when he sat there until the storm was over and left. Yesterday he was being a pain in the ARSE, snapping at me, my dogs and crawling all over the shop. I had to step in and take control :p Sorry for not cleaning my trash can for the pics. He's only about 10" long so the dogs didn't take him seriously :rollno:

I relocated him far, FAR away, out in the woods :) I don't mind snakes but not this kind, crawling around near my ankles :ninja:

2. Rat snake?

3. Cor! It's a Beautie!

4. jobu3

jobu3 ¿Huevos?! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Venomous?

5. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    "Snakes on a Thread" !

6. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    As opposed to crawling around your... neck...?

7. I THOUGHT it was a baby Pygmy rattler as they are very common around here. The pest control people would SWEAR it's a Pygmy :eyebrow: I'm now pretty sure it's some kind of Racer. I thought I was being brave and daring :meh:

8. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    Snakes on strings?

9. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I'd be as concerned about those stringy drill chips on the floor.:D:bag:

10. Based on the head shape, it's definitely not a viper - so definitely not a rattler.

11. Those are nice, expensive titanium drill chips!! :)

12. You were being "brave and daring". (Let me rephrase, as someone that has been bitten by a poisonous snake: crazy/stupid ;) )

Let me introduce you to your "little friend", also known as Sistrurus miliarius barbouri, or the dusky pygmy rattlesnake.

[​IMG]

I hope you are more careful in handling the next one of these you see....

;)

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Snakes???? "Why does it have to be snakes?"

14. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Hijack alert: Nice, what were you making in titanium?

15. While the pattern is close, I still don't buy it. I also think Knifemaker's is a racer. Look at the face of the snake, it is not a viper. Check out the head diagram in this link: http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology/fl-guide/Sistrurusmbarbouri.htm

Now check out the head on this racer: http://www.southalley.com/album_racers.html

16. ...and this pic of a juvenile black racer seals it. They lose the markings when the mature. The head and markings are identical to FLKnifemaker's although this guys a little younger:

snake037.jpg

17. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    If a snake crawls up in my garage, I will waste no time introducing him to Mr. Remington.

18. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    [​IMG]

19. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    Like in "Photoshop contest site" ? :p

20. Yes,

One of the snake experts on our knife and gun forum called it immediatley. They're close.

Mr. Gard.........

I just did my best to get it into the trash can and off to the woods. I wasn't playing snake charmer with the darn thing :) The first two encounters he took off. Trust me, I was handling it as if it was a Pigmy!! I can't afford to be out of commision with a snakebite!! Snakes in my yard/shop are not something new. A few years ago, we had a coral snake in my Florida room. That one met it's doom :(

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021