1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Say I have an 8x10 @ 4 ohm and 1x18 @ 8 ohm

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ogbassist, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Ogbassist

Ogbassist

Feb 16, 2012
    This is mainly for ***** and giggles. I could buy an ampeg 1x18 for like 75 bucks. What I want to know is...can I use my SVT CL head to run my 8x10 and use the pre amp out to send to my pf500 head rated at 300 watts @ 8 ohms power amp in to power the 1x18 without messing anything up? If so... would you even be able to hear the 1x18 over the 8x10? the 8x10 is 800 watts @ 4 and the 1x18 is 175 @ 8

2. There would be no point. It would not add appreciable volume to your 810.

Ric5 likes this.
  3. Ogbassist

Ogbassist

Feb 16, 2012
    Kinda what I figured :( I liked the idea of having a sub

4. What makes you think the 18 will produce more low end than your 810?

5. He could run a crossover, a simple LPF between the SVT and the PF, then add lows from the PF500's eq.
    All he would achieve though is probably mud in the stage sound.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    There was a thread on this same thing a while back.

The 18 is rather pointless. It should at least be lowpassed and controlled with a separate amplifier, but it's still rather pointless.

If you want to try it anyway, turn all the eq knobs, except the bass, on your PF down to zero. Use only the bass knob and master volume.

7. What makes you think the ampeg 118 is going to add any lows to what his 810 produces?

8. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Jul 11, 2013
    Dimension X
    It will work but won't give you any tonal or sonic advantage over running the 810 alone.

9. The fact that sealed 8x10's (I assume it's an Ampeg since all the other stuff is) aren't exactly known for going very low. Mine's an assumption, but it's not like he's purchasing something new or risks blowing anything up. He might well like the results.
    And that is 254 square inches you're adding to the 600 or so you already have, not something to throw away.
    Yes it might screw up off axis response but my point is that nothing bad will happen if he tries it out.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Got to say that our pal Johnny A from Staind does something similar and loves it. Except he uses two PR810's and two custom 218 cabs with no crossover. It would work to do what you want to do...the gains you get from doing it may or may not work out, but it will work on a purely technical level.

11. And the 118 could be tuned higher than the 810, and I suspect the sensitivity of that cab is low enough that it isnt going to add a describable increase in volume.

12. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Jul 11, 2013
    Dimension X
    A $75 experiment is not too serious. You'll find out pretty quick if you like it or not.

dukeisdog likes this.
  13. Actually I somehow misread that he already had it, not that he could buy it for a good price.
    In that case no, I would advise against buying it too.

CL400Peavey likes this.
  14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

What is wrong with the eight subs you already run?

CL400Peavey likes this.
  15. Ogbassist

Ogbassist

Feb 16, 2012
    I really didn't know a whole lot about the 1x18. I was just asking if...1. it would add any lows to the mix and 2. if it would ruin my head if i used the pre amp out/power amp in... i watch some videos and it seems like by doing this, you use each head to power each cab so the SVT CL would power the 8x10 @ 4 ohms and the PF500 would power the 1x18 @ 8 ohm

16. Ogbassist

Ogbassist

Feb 16, 2012
    I always want more... lol

17. An SVT-CL will run two 810s just fine. ;)

18. Ogbassist

Ogbassist

Feb 16, 2012
    I can't buy another 8x10 for $75 tho :/

19. Ogbassist

Ogbassist

Feb 16, 2012
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm not going to get it. But quick question, I don't really want to make another thread about it since its probably easy answered but its something Ive always wondered.... how does tube wattage stack against SS wattage? Is a 300 watt tube equal to 1000w SS? ive never understood

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Watts are watts, but tube amps have a way of gently going from clean to dirty that gives the illusion that tube watts are louder than SS watts.