1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Say what you want about Fender CS.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by guy n. cognito, Sep 15, 2008.

1. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    ...but I just had another great experience. I recently bought a USED Fender Victor Bailey Jazz Bass. I guess I wasn't paying too much attention, because when I got home and changed the strings I noticed that 4 of the 5 machine heads were missing the screw that retains the thumb screw on the body of the head. They still work fine, but it still bothered me.

I decided to call Fender CS and see if they could sell me some. Not only did someone pick up the phone right away, but he went and found some screws and is sending them to me for free. All that despite the fact that he knew I wasn't the original owner.

This has been my second positive contact with Fender CS, both on used basses. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I hear so much bad news about their products and service that I thought I would share a positive experience.

2. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Great story about Fender c.s. That is weird that those screws would be missing? Were the holes drilled for them? It makes you wonder if the previous owner had removed them for some reason and forgot to put them back in.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    "But... but... Fender has the worst QC and CS in the business! This can't be true! Our world has been turned upside down!"

;)

4. fender has been cleaning up the quality of their instruments, maybe they are cleaning up the quality of their cs too..

5. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    was the used VB 5 string jazz at corner music by chance?

6. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

It was, indeed!

7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Bashing Fender is so fashionable. I like Fender, and am glad to hear that your experience with them was pleasant. :bassist:

8. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    Earlier this year when I had my Custom Classic J5, I noticed that the G string tuning key was a little bit bent - it had the 4+1 headstock. It worked fine but it also bothered me, emailed Fender about buying the new part and they said contact my dealer. So I contacted the store I got it from, now I don't know if it's good customer service or it was because of the store's relationship with Fender but they sent out a new tuning key for free. I am not anti-Fender by any means, I love Fender but it sucks that they wouldn't deal with me directly so I just assumed that it's the store's relationship with their Fender rep that got me a free replacement.

9. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Fender went thru a few years of bad QC and it hurt their reputation a bit. I feel that they are back on track now, and to stay.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have always felt that criticism of Fender is overstated. I have never had problems finding good Fenders when I was in the market for one. The biggest problem is that there are simply so many of them, and that they are often not well set up in stores.

11. +1.. I was at GC last weekend and I couldn't find a Fender that hadn't suffered abuse while being on display in the store.. one had a chipped nut, one had the string retainer ripped off, etc. I think they probably get much more play in a store than some of the lesser known brands..

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

That is why they have dealers.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Same here. The Fenders I was most interested in were the MIA Jazz Deluxes and they were excellent back in 1997 and didn't get worse afterwards.

Way too many people mistake a less than optimal setup with poor quality. Seems silly but it happens often. Easier to bark than become informed.
    :cool:

14. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I just bought my second 1996 Jazz Deluxe. They really are wonderful instruments, especially for the money. Wonderful tone and a great feel. I actually prefer that generation to the more current versions.

Very good point about the setup. With the exception of my former Sadowsky, I've never purchased a bass that I didn't have to setup once it got home. The VB I just bought needed quite a bit of tweaking, but now it plays great. Of course, that was a used instrument. The great thing about uneducated dealers is that they'll discount a poorly setup instrument heavily to sell it, because they think it has QC issues. ;)

15. Every single American Fender I've ever played felt and sounded good. Mind you, I've never played for more than twenty minutes at a time. The Mexican Fenders I find are easily of comparable quality to similarily priced competitors. Mind you, I think I need to get rid of my MIM P... don't really like it very much. Need a Jazz.

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    If they knew what they were doing, they'd work with a customer to see if the setup can sweeten the potential purchase. Most IME don't.

I got my Marleaux JB Deluxe 5 because it sat at a store with a less than optimal setup for almost two weeks. When I finally got around to checking it out, the "fixes" were obvious. I bought the bass, set it up and let many of the same people who turned up their noses at the bass get a look at it's "new" condition. Lots of people ended up kicking themselves. Maybe they'll earn... then again, maybe not.
    ;)

17. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    It's funny to watch the tides here on TB... It changes faster than the Huntington Beach surf. Whether or not it was justified, well all know the anti-Fender threads the littered this site and now the opposite.

Maybe my requirements are not as strict but I've never played a bad Fender (really), nothing like what's been described here. And you're right Brad, people associate poor set up with bad quality - which can happen to any bass.

I miss my Custom Classic J, but I needed the cash at the time...

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

I didn't put much stock in most of the complaining because for the most part, many of them showed over time they really didn't know what they were doing.

19. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    that was a sharp bass. played it a week or 2 ago when I was in there picking my S-Ray 5 up from Joe. congrats on a gorgeous bass.

20. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. I started a thread/poll a while back about how much a poor setup/dead strings affects our impression of a bass in a store. Many people were like me: we'd like to think that in theory we can look past a bad setup and sorry strings to see the true potential of the bass with only a tiny bit of effort to maintain it, but in reality, it's hard not to be negatively influenced by a bad setup.

One of the GCs near me has a vent that continuously blows dry air right near the basses. Often the ones that have been on the wall there for a while end up with fret sprout. Then everyone dings Fender for not filing down the frets, when most basses would suffer the same fate if put in the same miserable conditions.

FWIW, I don't own a Fender (other than a FrankenFender), and I think a big part of that is my own inability to block out the negatives of a poor setup and dead strings.