1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Say what you want about Sting but...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by EmptyCup, Jun 26, 2014.

1. EmptyCup

EmptyCup

Feb 25, 2013
    Nashville Area
    I was watching this video of the recording of Ten Summoner's Tales with my computer speaker system volume up kind of loud last night and what happened @ 8:16 scared the crap outta me, but to my surprise Sting held the groove and the band continued recording. I thought this was a good example of professionals at work.

Here's the video link: if you go to 8:10 and watch you'll see what I mean.

BTW this isn't the most difficult line to play but try to play the verse groove up to speed AND sing along at the same time. Good luck with that, I couldn't do it :thumbsup:

SirMjac28 and anton72 like this.
  2. Face plant

3. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Some things you just don't laugh off . . .

4. EmptyCup

EmptyCup

Feb 25, 2013
    Nashville Area
    I hear you Lee, I can only imagine what that upright would cost.

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I am sure he isn't that concerned... he's got a bunch of money to burn through before he dies, can't leave any to the kids. ;)

SirMjac28 likes this.
  6. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    You know, as I was watching the clip, it was very obvious what was going to happen before you ever saw the bass move. Were they honestly just trying to balance the bass by leaning the scroll against a mostly flat wall?

7. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    It isn't just the money. . . . Every double bass is a unique instrument, especially with the higher-end instruments. If that bass were to be damaged beyond repair (which I don't believe it was), it would be irreplaceable.

JimK and hdracer like this.
  8. EmptyCup

EmptyCup

Feb 25, 2013
    Nashville Area
    Yes I saw that on the news the other day, bummer for the kids.

Great point, I would have been freaking out but he just kept playing.
    Must be all that Zen Yoga training ;)

SirMjac28 and Lee Moses like this.
  9. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I would have liked to have heard what was actually going on in the room and not the slick post-production version.

Lee Moses likes this.
  10. EmptyCup

EmptyCup

Feb 25, 2013
    Nashville Area
    Yep my thoughts as well but you know the record company wants it to appease the "masses".

Don't look behind the curtain of the great and powerful OZ :D

11. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Bass already fell. Ruining the recording isn't gonna change that. And who's talking smack about Sting, anyway?

12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I don't want to drag that up but I didn't dig it at all

13. I saw that tour, when the Sting band opened for the Grateful Dead.
    it was pretty amazing.
    that band really brought it and gave the deadheads more than they ever bargained for.
    That was the most I'd seen Sting improvise and let his band run wild than any other tour.

14. EmptyCup

EmptyCup

Feb 25, 2013
    Nashville Area
    Funny story; I heard Roxanne when it was first released (in 1978/79?) on the radio and thought, cool music but that guy can't sing. They're never gonna make it.

Wow, I'll have my huge slice of humble pie now :D