Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Say you had a Stingray 4 and it died...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by knuckle_head, Oct 9, 2004.

1. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Pickup and pre - I mean utterly. Everything else as solid as new.

What would you replace the inards with and why?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I'd send it to Music Man, since they'll only replace the electronics if you send them the defective ones (or the bass? Can't remember).

Wire it up in parallel, and then wire it to two switches.

The first would be an on/off,
    the second would be an on/on, the first position being direct to the output jack, and the second would send it through a cap (or is it resistor? I'm not good with electronics) that would be the same as having the tone rolled all the way off.

Mmm... thumpy.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd call Ernie Ball Service (800) 543-2255 and get them to fix it. There's nothing better than the original. If you REALLY want something to replace it, get the new ones from Ernie Ball and put them on eBay. They fetch good money. Then I'd go with the Aero MM pickup.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    You sure its not just battery?

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I would. It'd just be the excuse I'd need to buy the Basslines MM replacement system.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

The man's a luthier. I suspect he really means his electronics are fried.

7. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I'd probably send it to EB, when it came back working, I'd throw the guts on eBay, then use the money to get a Q-Tuner, adjust the action for BEAD tuning (or lower) and rock on... :D