Say you want to sell a medium-low value bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Waytootrue

Waytootrue

Jan 19, 2018
    Denver
    Take all the mods out and save them for later ;)

Munjibunga likes this.
  2. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    Man, this concept keeps coming up decade after decade.
    Don't let perceived resale value deter you from fully enjoying or exploring your possessions.

This person thinks that they can get every $ out of their experience:
    Fender 5 string Jazz Bass w/ Audere Pre; Lindy Fralin single coils

This person has priced their item accordingly:
    1996 MIA Fender Jazz Bass V

Either know what you are buying, or leave room to mod it to your tastes by getting the best deal however you can.

3. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    someone has another cream MTD beast made in the Czech republic and I want it bad to be a sister to my other cream MTD Suzy. so I can have one low B and one high C. but the dude replaced the pickups and wants 1500 bucks for it. they were 700 brand new. I just find it so hard to believe pickups can double a basses price. but if you can wait I guess go for it and try for your price

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Everyone else has given the reasons, so I'll keep it simple - you're not going to get what you want for that bass.

Big Hoss and RichSnyder like this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

yep: and pretty much true...sell your ax and see! let us know about the experience. thanks.

6. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    if a parts bass project comes out well and rather cool ... it will sell ,... but i never plan on getting my money back ..!! i knew that heading in .. i usually part things out so folks can work on their own parts bass projects ... seems to be worth more in pieces ..!! my last project P bass body will be made into an interesting Wall Clock ..!!

Big Hoss likes this.
  7. IngloriousOz

IngloriousOz Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2006
    SLC, Utah
    Good luck selling it on here period unless you're willing to take a %50 hit or take some piece of garbage 5 string in trade.

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

With all due deference to the OP, as I have no doubt his work is well done....

When I look at a $300 bass with $300 worth of mods, I figure that the first thing I may do is remove half or more of those mods, then possibly have to invest time and money to get the bass back to stock or near-stock condition. I may or may not be able to sell the removed pieces, and if I do, $300 worth of mod parts is worth perhaps $100-$150 dollars at resale if I'm real lucky.

Over many years, I've learned that UNdoing other people's work is much more time consuming and frustrating than doing what I want done.

For that reason, I am highly unlikely to buy a highly modified bass, because (a) it's probably not what I want, and (b) it's not worth the trouble to retrofit.

If, for some highly unusual reason, I found a bass that had been modified in a way I liked, no way would I pay more than it's worth new. That would be silly.

What it all boils down to is "what's it worth to the buyer?" I'm clearly a lousy buyer prospect for a modified bass, but I'm not alone.

Big Hoss likes this.
  9. When selling something I always ask myself this: Would I buy this exact guitar for that much? If the answer is yes, you are selling if for too cheap because its worth more to you to own it than sell it for that much.

10. Copperhead

Copperhead Still creakin' around. Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Tennessee
    With no offense or confrontation intended, no, you are really not. That's the way you feel but it doesn't reflect the realities of the market. This has been tactfully pointed out to you several times. Everyone is entitled to their feelings about how much something may be worth. You will get what the market will bear.

This is especially so in the current over saturated buyers market. No one is going to pay above average price for an instrument of which there are dozens of others floating around at the " going" price. I say this from a position of having bought and sold dozens of instruments over the years.

I for one am much more apt to buy he standard version for light money and do my own mods, which I often do. I do this with the full realization I will be keeping the instrument.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    Mods rarely increase value and in some cases, they can actually cause the value to decrease.

Pilgrim likes this.
  12. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    It cost the same to ship a $300 bass as a $3000 bass. For a $300-400 bass, I wouldn’t bother selling unless it’s a local sale. The buyer doesn’t want to add $100 for shipping and you certainly don’t want to eat $100 shipping costs.

ajkula66 likes this.
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have a UV70 for sale. I put a Pope Flex Core preamp in it. Before I put the bass up for sale (local only) I took the Pope out, thinking if people want a Sadowsky, they want a Sadowsky.

Beej, Pilgrim and RichSnyder like this.
  14. hopwheels

hopwheels Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    I’ve modded a Mexican P and Jazz, and built two parts basses. If I sell them I’d likely part them out, as that may get me closer to recouping my original cost.

I don’t expect anyone would like exactly what I’ve done and be willing to pay for it like I did.

I felt the same when I used to restore and/or cafe Yamaha SR500 motorcycles a decade ago. I parted ‘em out or sold them at a loss. The parts were worth more than the whole most often.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  15. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    The other good thing about parting out a bass is that you can get the buyer to pay for shipping far more easily.

16. I can see that this guy is not dilusional either...he wanted the same amount I do for mine...
    Dean Sledgehammer 5 String Bass Natural

Except mine is more bad-assed going by all the comments I got on TB about it over the years....

I’ve been reading a trend in the responses, where many believe that I want more than what it is worth, which really isn’t the case. If it’s worth $350, read back to one of my posts stating that I was offered less than $200, but I want $150 more than that...meaning $350. So, in the end, am I being unrealistic or delusional???

17. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    That says “Item is no longer available”, not “This item has sold”. So there’s no telling what he sold it for elsewhere or maybe he kept it. But this isn’t a selling price.

18. Copperhead

Copperhead Still creakin' around. Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Tennessee
    Your mind is evidently set, put it up for sale and let us know.

19. There’s definitely a niche market for that style of bass, I wouldn’t expect it to go as quickly as a J or P.
    There is also a 4-string currently on eBay for 309
    Dean Sledgehammer Swamp Ash Bass Guitar Good Condition Guitar Only | eBay

20. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    Nice car you got there !

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021