1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Say youre running a 4 ohm cab and an 8 ohm cab in parallel...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Holy War, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    Does it matter which cab you go to first from your amp?

2. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    No.

3. RoboChrist

RoboChrist Guest

Jul 8, 2009
    Wouldn't that be in series?

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I assume you mean daisy chaining them, which, unless they have been custom wired, will indeed be in parallel. Don't make no never mind no how what order. The 4 Ohm should get twice the power of the 8.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Be sure your amp can handle running at 2 ohms.

6. knobbin

knobbin

Jan 21, 2007
    Kingston, ON
    It doesn;t matter which order you plug into if its a parallel connection. Make sure your amp can go to a minimum of 2ohms, the amp itself will see about 2.6666666.... ohms.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No. It's very unusual to connect speaker cabs in series (like almost never). It requires a specially-wired cable which, in general, are not commercially available. You could have one custom-made.

8. RoboChrist

RoboChrist Guest

Jul 8, 2009
    I have my terminology mixed up then. I thought parallel meant each cab going into the power source individually and series was daisy chaining. :help:

9. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    These are correct, but daisy-chaining still results in an electrically parallel setup because of the way the cabs are internally wired....at least that's my understanding, but I'm no engineer.

10. Nope you can "daisy chain" cabs and it will usually be wired in paralell. It is the same as running a seperate wire to the amp head as most amp head outputs are wired in paralell except both cabs will be fed from a single cable to the amp head. It all looks the same to the amp heads output section without using a special cable or connection box to series wire the cabs. :)

11. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Your total load will now be 2.7 ohms so make sure your amp can handle that.

12. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    My amp can handle 2 ohms otherwise I wouldnt have asked...thanks for the heads up though!

13. dave2

dave2

Feb 10, 2007
    Texas
    I don't mean to hijack the thread but I've been wondering if I could run several 8 ohm cabs in parallel and then have my 4 ohm cab somehow connected with the others in series? If so, how?

Thanks. I love this TB forum.

Dave