1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sayin' Hi......gotta question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sleke, Nov 19, 2006.

1. sleke

sleke

Nov 17, 2006
    Colorado
    Hello Everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. I'm looking for some input on a entry level fretless for my 13 year old son. He plays double bass in his school orchestra (1st chair), and 4 string in jazz band. The electric he's playing is a cheapie ARIA STB P-bass with a Badass II bridge & SD 1/4lb. split pu. He likes all types of rock, from The Who & Sabbath, to The Offspring & Greenday. We're lookin' hard at SX mostly due to price, but open to suggestions. He really liked a 5 string fretless he saw on their web site, but I think he should only try one or the other (5 string OR fretless). Any & all feedback/experiences/opinions will be greatly appreciated.
    TIA

Pat

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm...

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hi and welcome to TB! :)

About looking for a bass for your son, be sure to check out music stores and try out as many basses as you can to get a feel for them. The SX (Essex) jazzes get good reviews from many people here though, so they are a good choice to begin with.

You can also try out the Basses forum, lot´s of knowledgeable people there.

3. sleke

sleke

Nov 17, 2006
    Colorado
    Thanks Ivar, Any chance of getting this moved to the Basses Forum?

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm...

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Consider it done.

5. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I don't see a problem with choosing a five string fretless at this point.

6. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA