Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saying Goodbye to an Old Friend...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Juneau, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    After 12 years of life, my best buddy Elvis couldn't fight the cancer any longer and I had to put him to sleep yesterday. This was quiet possibly the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life. I truely feel for anyone out there with a sick puppy, or anyone who has to go through this, which is likely anyone with a pet.

He will always be remembered in my heart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rest in peace my friend...

2. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    i'm so sorry. when my dog was put to sleep i cried non stop for 3 days. my dog had cancer too. they are in better places now though :)

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    too bad man, I'm sure it was the best thing to do. Always sad to loose a pet.

4. i know how u feel...but the good memories always bring a smile to my face. whenever im down. im sorry for your loss.

5. Too bad man. That sucks.

Vishla? My neighbour has one - she's a pretty nice dog. A Bit whiny though.

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    My heart goes out to you. That is painful, both to see him suffer and to say goodbye to such a loyal ever loving buddy who doesn't know you're putting him down. That hurts a lot friend.

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Thanks for the sentiments everyone. And no, not a Vishla. He was a rhodesian ridgeback mix. About 130lbs at his best.

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, it's always sad when it's about death...

Side note: maybe he isn't a vizsla, but they sure looks similar (vizsla's are thin by nature, a cross between hunting and running dogs). I was at first thinking that he looked very much like a vizsla, and that it was funny to see an otherwise not too known and widespread Hungarian hunting dog around.

9. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Yeah the mix of Rhodesian and Hound probably leads to that conclusion as well. After all, the dogs your refering too are basically red hounds, so they are very similar. Elvis was larger than them though, even at their biggest it looks like.

10. so sorry to hear, Juneau. :(
    now his pain has stopped. Hope yer OK man. :)

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Juneau -

Been there, done that...it never gets easier, and you never completely get over it.

I still get choked up when I think of my last dog, and I lost him over 10 years ago now...

Sorry to hear of your loss, and I hope you decide to give a good and loving home to a "new Elvis" someday soon, when you're ready. I always think the best way to thank a good pet for the love he gave you is to give that love to another when they are gone.

I have a cat now (lifestyle forces the choice), and just drown him in love...and it all comes back to me multiplied. One day, I want another dog...

12. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Sorry for your loss, man. Deepest sympathies. :(

13. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Thanks everyone, and I agree Gard with your thoughts. I have another dog now, and he is very lonely without his brother around. I will probably have no choice but to get another one soon, as my one left behind doesn't cope well being alone.

Unfortunantly, I can't afford the breed I really want to get, but Im looking around, as much for my own benifit as my wolf Juneau's.

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Juneau, when my dog passed, I had two cats, and one cried (literally!) for a month, and kept looking for the dog. Poor guy. He passed last August, and the remaining cat was literally heartbroken over it (I missed 3 days of work...). He's adjusted now, and because of my situation (I had a feeling a job and location change was coming) and his age (he's 15, hard to adjust to a "new" roommate), I've decided not to get another pet just yet. But, when his time comes, I'm going to get two cats...

...good luck with your situation...

15. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    That's the weird thing about cats and dogs - the classic adversaries. When our little 'Scooter' (Yorkie) made the journey a few years back, Chelsea, the ginger tab, kept searching around the house for him; a couple of weeks or something. Just meowing and whatnot.

Best thing - and I truly believe this - is you get to see them again one day. Like you'll be walking along somewhere and see a familiar blur of fur and it's like "Hey buddy, how you doin'?"

Then you can both enjoy a nice leisurely walk and everything else just fades away. There's no rush 'cause you gotta get to work, no time constraints at all; just a nice stroll.

It's kind of a happy thought, at least to me :)

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'm so sorry for your loss.... losing a pet/friend is not easy...

:(

17. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Juneau, sorry to hear about your loss .......

During our 24 years together, my wife and I have lost four dogs due to the ravages of time. Fortunately, all lived fairly long and healthy lives and we're grateful for that ... they were all adopted from rescue shelters for abused animals and we were pleased to give them a little bit better life.

The hardest one was this last .... Three months ago we put our 15 year old ShihTzu, Brewster, to sleep. Brew was my practice buddy, whenever I went into the room to practice he would come and stay with me. As he got older and his hearing diminished, he would get closer and closer to the amp, finally to the point that (when his hearing was completely gone) he would actually lay up against the amp to feel the vibrations. Brewster was a bottom dweller, for sure :cool:

Keep your chin up ..........

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sorry to hear it, man. :(

brad cook

19. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    Yeah, we had a Yorkie, Lhasa, Doberman, and a cat. In the span of a year we lost the Yorkie, Lhasa, and cat. We eventually got another Yorkie and cat. We bred the Doberman and kept two pups. And we picked up a Blue Heeler and a Poodle.

New pets don't replace your loss, but they do help you heal. I'm a big guy - can you guess which dog is my favorite? :confused:

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am sorry for your loss, everyone should expirence the love of a pet.