Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saying Hi, and a question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gage, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Hello Talkbass, Ive cruised these boards for a while now but never registered to post untill now.
    Ive been taking lessons for a little over 4 months now.
    The other day I was in a local shop and he had a G&L 2000 fretless. Id never played a G&L befor but have heard of them so I tried it out. omg it was so much better then my ibanez but also priced 4 times as much heheh. I really liked it. now since I only have 4 months of experience should I stick with my ibanez untill I get all the basics down, then I can worry about other things like fretless, and active pup's?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    get what you want, man. if you can afford it, hop all over it. just try and make sure that it's really what you want - most basses in that price range are going to be noticeably better than your ibanez. so try some out and see what you like.

but yeah, g&l's kick butt, very nice basses.

3. Yeah, Play around and if you like the G & L, get it! With a better bass you might learn faster, think of it that way. :D :) ;) :cool: :p

4. thanks for the input. Ive been looking to move up from my ibanez but not sure if a fretless would hamper my progress. and after looking at other spots i think he is asking a bit much for it. but im gonna keep my eye out for g&l's now.

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Welcome to full participation from lurkdom!

Good decision on looking around, some dealers are enthusiastic on pricing. Sometimes they will take an offer if the item is sticky stock (ie they had it a while). THe advantage of fretless apart from sounding wonderful is that some shops sell em cheap cos they are not as popular (thats how I got my Warwick for £600).

PS Musicman

6. brianmc

brianmc

Jun 7, 2001
    roswell, nm
    i have a G&L L2000 for sale for cheap, its used and its fretted. you know, just incase you were interested

7. How much?

Gage, welcome dude. My suggestion is if you have teh money, get it. Otherwise, stick with your Ibanez. Meanwhile you can always practice with your ibanez rite?

Fretless IMO is a different animal. So it would most probably take you longer to learn how to play bass, but if you did, you'll end up speaking 2 languages.

Thats just my opinion ofcourse:)

8. brianmc

brianmc

Jun 7, 2001
    roswell, nm
    im not sure really, i think it'll be around $425. i have some people that are looking right now but if they don want it ill be glad to sell it to you. rock on to all of the bass players