1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SB-1 and question

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by mrpackerguy, Oct 10, 2006.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Well, I got an SB-1 tonight. Lots of mojo. Sounds great! Very P-bass like and some punch as well. Pictures are below. Neck dates November 1982 and body January 1983. The finish is well worn but intact most places and is now a creamy off white. The neck has also aged to almost a gun oil tint color (and no upcharge). Back of the neck has wear, dings and the top of the neck has a couple "liver spots". The saddles have been replaced and are as new G&L replacements.

The action to the 7th fret is to my liking - medium low. By the 20th fret, it's medium high to high. The neck is straight with some relief in it and the truss, though stiff, functions. It seems like if I could get smaller saddles, I could get the strings to a more comfortable level of string action. Any thoughts? Thanks. Maybe grind down the saddles? Or maybe micro-tilt the neck via the mico-tilt adjustment.
    IMG_1024.gif
    IMG_1027.gif
    IMG_1037.gif
    IMG_1029.gif
    IMG_1033.gif

2. palmann

palmann

Sep 3, 2006
    Germany
    Viiiiiintage... :)

Gruesse, Pablo

3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

...you're gonna fix that G-string right ? :D

other than a general cleaning and rust removal , i wouldn't change a thing !!
    ...all original is the way to go for that bass , imo ...

sweet looking bass , and i'd bet the tone is awesome ... congrats !!

4. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I had just checked the neck and body dates and hadn't yet tightened the strings back up.

Thanks. Great tone. Very impressive for active electronics.

5. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Ummmmm, an SB-1 is supposed to be passive? :eyebrow:

Jim

6. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Yea, you're right, I meant passive. No batteries there.

7. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Well, some adjustments have improved things 70%. First, I put on a set of new GHS flats. I followed Spidey's G&L Adjustment Guide and worked a little majoc of me own. The neck had too much relief so that's adjusted and may need another 1/4 turn this evening. The saddles were adjusted forward toward the neck and to follow the curvature of the neck and for string height. Finally, I adjusted the microtilt which proved very delicate. At first I way overcompensated and brought the butt of the neck way to high. Then I brought it back to the original position, then adjusted by 1/8 turns until the fret buzz above the 12th fret was gone or nearly gone. Like I said, I think the neck can use another 1/4 turn. But it's playing MUCH better now. The pots cavity was shielded, but I then added some more. Thanks guys for all the help.

You'll hate me for even saying it, but I'm thinking of flipping it now.

8. deepestend

deepestend Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Can anyone tell me where to find Spidey's Adjustment guide?

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  10. deepestend

deepestend Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Thanks.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021