1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SB 2 bass. What can I expect.

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Youngspanion, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I have an L2k with a single coil tap right now and a Fender Aerodyne jazz bass. I am using the Fender right now for alot of original stuff and some covers and I'm not too sure of the L2K right now and I'm thinking of digging an SB 2. But what am I to expect in comparison to the L2K?

2. Expect a great deal of difference. The SB-2 will be a more aggressive sounding bass and less flexible tonally. Where the L-2000 is very flexible and can take on, and be successful at, pretty much any style of music, the SB-2's heart & soul is in rock & roll. While it can be played lightly and expressively, the SB-2 begs to be played hard and will reward you will genuine MFD goodness.

Ken...

3. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    mmmmm

4. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    Warning: If you buy the SB-2, your Aerodyne may get jealous from not getting played anymore...

5. dogbass

dogbass Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Ken....absolutely poetic ! :)

6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Yes, the SB-2 has genuine full-range, badass MFD goodness, blended with old-school P-bass thumpin' righteousness. Toss in a little J-bass playability and P/J flexibility for good measure. How could you possibly go wrong? :D

7. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Yeah,

Thats one thing that the L2k cannot really produce. A good p sound. Its just that pickup that is what it is. But the SB 2 gives that you say. With more MFD Grit and sand. Maybe the time has come.

8. Just watch out for the teeth!

Ken...

9. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    Steve,

Try passive/series/front pickup. If that doesn't do it for you give me a call at the store - I can give you a nice hookup at the moment if you are into a few particular colors.

10. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    I agree w/ flash99 - that setting gives a pretty decent P imitation, especially when everything's buried in the mix.

I converted my SB-2 to vol/tone/3-way selector, as opposed to the vol/vol standard setup. With both pups on, and the tone and volume both at about 6-7, it cops a really good P/J tone. Anything beyond that is just bonus power... But, I usually run it with the neck pup only, dimed on volume and at about 8 on tone. Big, beefy, ballsy P tone.

Imagine your Aerodyne neck on your L2k body. P-style pickguard with passive P/J pups that have the power that your L2k has when it's active with the boost... That's what you can expect...

11. ac11367

ac11367

Apr 26, 2007
    Flushing, NY
    I've recently purchased a SB2 from Talkbass' marketplace. It was modified with the volume knobs stacked on top of the tonal knobs. If I want the P sound I use exclusively the neck PU and the jazz sound I use the bridge PU exclusively. In other words, I'm still a bit green at effectively mixing the two PU's. But individually, each pickup is a suped up version of the ones its emulating. The P sound is more fatter than the Fender P and the J sound is dirtier, ruder than the Fender J.

12. Like everyone has said...but I will add I had both the non export Fender Aero P&J configuration and the SB2 and had to decide which to keep and the sb2 just sounded better hands down.