1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SB-2 pickups in a Squier

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Garrett Keys, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Garrett Keys

Garrett Keys

Mar 3, 2016
    I have a P/J configuration fretless Squier Jaguar and was wondering if I could put the G&L SB-2 Pickups in it?

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

The MFD P pickup should be a drop-in replacement but the MFD bridge pickup is not a normal J pickup size. So 1/2 yes, 1/2 no

3. That's right, one will fit, the other won't:

drb35yi2zb9sxpr5mvwe.

The overwound MFD bridge pickup is a beast & it's bigger than a Jaguar's bridge pickup.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  4. Garrett Keys

Garrett Keys

Mar 3, 2016
    Thanks for the input! would you guys have any good alternatives to the J pickup for the bridge?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  5. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I also like the DiMarzio Model J -- wired in series it has plenty of output, bucks your hum, and has adjustable poles so you can get the string-to-string balance you want. I haven't matched one with an MFD P but have them in other basses and think it would be a decent match.

6. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    I’d also go with Model J to match the MFD... actually, I’d probably use the Model P too, I’d just get a Model PJ set... The original SB bases had Schaller pickups, which are DiMarzio copies...

7. The Ultra Jazz has more output than the Model J, which is why I suggested it.
    You'll have a difficult time finding a match for a MFD, output-wise. The MFD is super-hot!

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Not sure if you changed your plan but, if you are still planning on routing in active electronics, you could just route in the new pickup as well.

9. Garrett Keys

Garrett Keys

Mar 3, 2016
    I'm probably going to go for passive electronics! i have plans for expanding the already there active preamp.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.