SB Live vs. better.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by dudemeister, Jan 6, 2002.

1. I'm doing my home recording using my SB Live card. I plug the bass directly into the line-in and the guitar through a Boss GX700 (effects processor) into the line-in.
    I use Logic Audio Silver to record my music.
    I've done my own soundfont's for drums and they sound pretty good. When I use MIDI instruments, I "draw" it into the matrix editor since I can't play keyboard very well.:(
    What is the differance between SB Live and other better soundcards if you just record one track at a time and don't use a keyboard to play the music?
    What differance would, for instance SoundTrack Audio DSP24 VALUE do?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What differs pro cards from consumer cards:

- ASIO drivers for low latency (down to 2-10 ms), for Cubase, Logic and other ASIO-capable audio apps like BPM-Studio Pro, Fruityloops, Orion, Buzz, Native Instruments standalone programs, etc.
    additionally perhaps EASI drivers for Emagic Logic (EASI is Emagic's answer to ASIO, but Logic can also use ASIO).
    Usually you need ASIO with XP/2k to record with 24/32 bit.

Note: With XP/2k you can only use 16bit audio recording with WDM drivers, unless you have special programs. Right now, only Cakewalk Sonar and Magix/Sek'd Samplitude 6.02 can record 24 bit without ASIO.

- good ADDA converters without "cheating" (e.g. 18 bit instead of the advertised 24 bit, EQing to reduce noise).
    Pro cards have good 24 bit converters or even 32 bit.

e.g. the Creative Labs Audigy can only record 16 bit and up to 48kHz, contrary to the ads.
    Also you can only use 48kHz with ASIO - not good!

- good and fully compliant digital ins/outs (SPDIF or higher)

- good (driver) support

- no mic preamp because usually mics are plugged into a mixer - most consumer card mic ins have really, really bad mic pramps - avoid!

- no 3D FX - only needed for gaming, useless for audio/midi recording

- usually no wavetable onboard sounds, since its quality is too low for pro recording. Most people use external synths, samplers, or virtual synths

Example of a entry-level pro audio card:

M-Audio/Midiman Delta Audiophile 2496:

2 analog ins, 2 digital ins
    2 analog outs, 2 digital outs
    midi interface

driver support for ASIO (Cubase), EASI (Logic), GSIF (Gigasampler/studio)

drivers for Wiin9x, Me, 2k, XP, MacOS 9 and X, Linux

24bit, 96kHz recording

ca. 200$
  3. tmt

Nov 10, 2001
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Yes, the pro audio soundcard are really pro features, but I'd rather used SB soundfont drums then from a keyboard or drum module. Why because it's cheaper and yet the same quality (44khz).

Other things, if you dont have a good keyboard, then SB with the soundfont is the best option, especially for drum. Just compare it if you buy a Korg Triton/PA 80, I might say the soundfont is more natural and fatter.

The only competitor of this soundfont is an AKAI 3000 drum sampler.

Again, with soundfont you can get below $30 a whole set of sound, and for a expansion card for Rolland, Alesis, Korg, at least it'll cost you $250.

FYI. you can hear a demo loop from my website
    All done with SB soundfont except the bass ofcourse.